1 - 6 of 6 Posts

d_kakavouli

Well, it's said to be the largest square in the Balkans...I'm not sure if it actually is. The area of the square used to be a fortification between the castle and the city. You can also check out Durrell’s Monument in the square. It was built to honor Gerald and Lawrence Durrell, an author and zoologist, who spent their early years on the island of Corfu.

spianada-square-corfu-720x480.jpeg

Reactions: dimi_pat

dimi_pat

I love Spianada square :)

k_tsoukalas

This looks like a great place - neat how it is one of the largest squares in the Balkans. Some things to do while in Corfu - some of the things are near the square:

corfujan

This square is lovely! I remember I loved walking through it, and I even ate at one of the nearby restaurants. I will definitely be sure to pass through here again while I am in Corfu.

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

This square is lovely! I remember I loved walking through it, and I even ate at one of the nearby restaurants. I will definitely be sure to pass through here again while I am in Corfu.
What was Corfu like ten years ago? I went last year but my mom says that most of Greece is way different now than it was then. I wonder how it has changed. Cheers and greetings from Capetown!

corfujan

What was Corfu like ten years ago? I went last year but my mom says that most of Greece is way different now than it was then. I wonder how it has changed. Cheers and greetings from Capetown!
Ten years ago it was beautiful as always, but there was some evidence of the financial crisis Greece was in at the time. I believe they were going through one of the periods where they were receiving emergency bailout money. Although people were out and about, there was a bit of an aura of stress and anxiety underneath the surface. Now and then, I'd see a closed shop. Greetings!!!

Visit the best restaurants in Corfu, Greece

These are for sure some of the best restaurants in Corfu, in no particular order of course!

Oinos kai Geuseis
Anthos
The Venetian Well
La Tavolda Calda
Taverna Diporto

Did you know about Corfus traditional carnival?

The carnival in Corfu happens on the three Sundays leading up to Lent. The holiday starts on the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, which will be Sunday, February 20 in 2022! Start making your travel plans now! You can check out the carnival in Corfu City in either Liston or Spianada squares. Locals walk around in aristocratic costumes and there are great games for kids!! I highly recommend checking out!

Lake Korission is so underrated!

When people think of Greece they think of beaches but there are so many beautiful lakes, lagoons and rivers! This is a beautiful lake to visit in Corfu if you're looking for some unique nature

Palaia Peritheia is Corfus ghost town

This place used to be the richest village on the entire island on the entire island, but today there are only empty houses and churches left with no inhabitants. Super eery but great for a visit to see how people once lived. check it out!

Corfus weather during the summer months

This is what you will expect from the climate in Corfu during the summer months! Great weather

June​

• Temperature: 61.5° F (16.4° C) – 82.4° F (28° C)
• Precipitation: 14.1 mm
• Climate: 4.9 days of rain on average, 324.2 hours of sunshine, water temperature 69.8° C (21° C), warm/hot, muggy, 95% clear
• Humidity: 63.4%

July​

• Temperature: 65.1° F (18.4° C) – 87.6° F (30.9° C)
• Precipitation: 9.2 mm
• Climate: 2.3 days of rain on average, 364.5 hours of sunshine, water temperature 73.4° F (23° C), hot, muggy, 95% clear, beach/pool score 8.6
• Humidity: 60%

August​

• Temperature: 65.8° F (18.8° C) – 88.3° F (31.3° C)
• Precipitation: 19 mm
• Climate: 3.4 days of rain on average, 332.8 hours of sunshine. Water temperature 75.2° F (24° C), hot, 57% muggy, clear, beach/pool score 8.6
• Humidity: 62.2%
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter