1 - 6 of 6 Posts

d_kakavouli

Well, it's said to be the largest square in the Balkans...I'm not sure if it actually is. The area of the square used to be a fortification between the castle and the city. You can also check out Durrell’s Monument in the square. It was built to honor Gerald and Lawrence Durrell, an author and zoologist, who spent their early years on the island of Corfu.

spianada-square-corfu-720x480.jpeg

Reactions: dimi_pat
I love Spianada square :)

This looks like a great place - neat how it is one of the largest squares in the Balkans. Some things to do while in Corfu - some of the things are near the square:

This square is lovely! I remember I loved walking through it, and I even ate at one of the nearby restaurants. I will definitely be sure to pass through here again while I am in Corfu.

Reactions: nadellii
This square is lovely! I remember I loved walking through it, and I even ate at one of the nearby restaurants. I will definitely be sure to pass through here again while I am in Corfu.
What was Corfu like ten years ago? I went last year but my mom says that most of Greece is way different now than it was then. I wonder how it has changed. Cheers and greetings from Capetown!

What was Corfu like ten years ago? I went last year but my mom says that most of Greece is way different now than it was then. I wonder how it has changed. Cheers and greetings from Capetown!
Ten years ago it was beautiful as always, but there was some evidence of the financial crisis Greece was in at the time. I believe they were going through one of the periods where they were receiving emergency bailout money. Although people were out and about, there was a bit of an aura of stress and anxiety underneath the surface. Now and then, I'd see a closed shop. Greetings!!!

Unesco World Heritage Sites of Corfu

I'm currently planning a trip to the beautiful island of Corfu and I'm keen on visiting some of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites that are located there. Being a bit of a history buff, I believe that exploring these sites can give me a deeper understanding of the island's cultural heritage and historical significance.

Could anyone here share more information about the UNESCO site on Corfu? Is there only one? The Corfu Old Town? What should I prioritize to see in Old Town?

Thanks!

Three Days or So in Corfu?

I was thinking of visiting Corfu over summer of 2024 and I am not sure how many days to stay. I was thinking that three days is a good amount, and that will enable me to visit other places in Greece (and other people - I have friends and family to visit).

Anyway 3 or 4 days really is ideal. But now, what to do? I have been watching a lot of content - there is some great travel content on YouTube and people love to visit Greece. Anyway, here is a great video:

Religious Sites to See on Corfu

There are a lot of churches and monasteries in Corfu and when I visit, I won't have a lot of time. What should be my priorities?

I am intrigued by the relics of Saint Spyridon but am having trouble finding where they are on the island. Is it simply called, the Shrine of Saint Spyridon?

I would love to visit some other churches and monasteries if possible. Any information you have will be good!

Visiting Corfu this Summer

I am thinking to head to Greece this summer and I want to spend my time going places I have either never been before, or have only spent a short amount of time at and I would love to return.

Corfu is on my list. I don't know much about it s I am having a hard time focusing my attention so that I can plan my time. I have about five nights to spend here. My most immediate concern is, do you have any recommendations on where to stay on the island?

Planning What to See in Corfu

I've been to Corfu plenty of times. I am writing down some of my notes so that I can sort out what I want to see next time I visit. I have friends there and might visit again next year...

Old Town Corfu - It's a NESCO World Heritage Site and has an impressive collection of Venetian-era buildings, narrow streets, and hidden alleys. It is also home to the imposing Old Fortress, Esplanade, and there architecture of the Liston and Palace of St. Michael and St. George.

Beaches - The Blue Caves on the northern coast of the island are a must-visit attraction and can only be accessed by boat but are worth visiting. Once there, swim in the sparkling blue waters surrounded by towering cliffs.

Dishes to Try - Sample local dishes like Pastitsada (beef stewed in tomato sauce), Sofrito (thinly sliced veal with parsley and garlic sauce), and Bourdeto (fish in a spicy red sauce). Also drink ouzo or tsipouro, two popular spirits.

Achilleion Palace - Located seven kilometers south of Corfu Town. Built as a summer residence for Empress Elizabeth of Austria. The palace has gorgeous architecture, beautiful gardens, and exceptional views of the surrounding countryside. I have taken a tour - not sure I'd do it again.

Anyone have any good Tavernas to recommend?
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back