1 - 2 of 2 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

A friend of mine sent this to me and I didn't do as well as I thought lol, if anyone is interested here is the quiz

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
WOW! This is awesome! Even though we know a ton about ancient Greek history there is always so much we don't know and many things to learn!

Thanks for sharing!! 🇬🇷 🇬🇷 🇬🇷

Theodoros Kolokotronis was the leader of Greek independence

I remember learning about Kolokotronis in Greek school. He was one of the most pivotal figures in the Greek independence movement. He was a general, politician, and a leading advisor to the Greek independence movement. If anyone has any documentaries about him, please share I would love to watch them

Theodoros-Kolokotronis-720x971.jpg

What geographical areas did Ancient Greece rule?

I didn't always know this....but I decided to do some research. These are the main areas where Ancient Greece ruled although it spanned all over the world at one point

Where-Was-Ancient-Greece-Exactly.jpg

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles is my favorite Ancient Greek play

This classic tragedy is still read and performed today. In the play, a father leaves his own son, Oedipus, to die in a field. Rather than die, he is taken in by another family and raised. While with this family, Oedipus is told by an Oracle that he will murder his father and sleep with his mother. Despite his best efforts to prevent this from happening, he does both of these things.

Did you know that the anchor was invented in Ancient Greece?

Prior to the Ancient Greeks, ancient ships would often throw large stones that were tied with ropes over the side of the boats to keep them steady. Even though this did work up to a point, it didn’t work all that well. No matter how heavy the stone was, it would still drift slightly in the ocean. The Ancient Greeks solved this problem by created the first real anchors, which they often referred to as “teeth”, or ὀδὁντες in the original Greek. These first anchors were made from buckets that were filled with stones. These buckets would grab onto the dirt at the ocean floor, thus keeping the ship in plate. Because each ship had several of these anchors, it made the ship even steadier. Even when there was a place to tie the boat to, the anchors were still used to provide extra stability.

Who was Ioannis Metaxas?

Ioannis Metaxas was the Prime Minister of Greece from 1936 to 1941. History looks at him as a general and dictator, but that may not necessarily give the whole picture. Sure, for the first four months of his stint as prime minister he did govern Greece with the constitution in mind. Yes, he eventually abandoned the constitution and formed the 4th of August Regime, but just looking at these events only gives part of the story. Here’s more detail into the life and career Ioannis Metaxas, one of the most recognizable names in modern Greek history. To say the least, the guy was HUGE in Greece!
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter