1 - 5 of 5 Posts

greggd12

I am very happy to see that Greece is investing in preserving its architecture and mediaeval cities. Rhodes has so much beauty, that I would hate to see it go away overtime because of environmental or other damages and erosion. Their plan is to create three main sectors of the city which will be the monumental, residential, and commercial areas. I'm very curious to see how this project will turn out and how the funds will be allocated. Have you heard anything about this?

I live on Rhodes. I will believe it IF it happens.

Reactions: dimi_pat
I live on Rhodes. I will believe it IF it happens.
I'm thinking the same thing...I've seen a lot of these ambitious projects fall apart

I'm thinking the same thing...I've seen a lot of these ambitious projects fall apart
I hope it doesn't fall apart, but I am skeptical as well. If there is follow through on this, it could be exciting!

Yes, I have heard about this project, and I think it's a great idea. I'm not sure how the funds will be allocated, but I hope they will be used wisely to preserve as much of the city's history and beauty as possible. Rhodes is a beautiful place, and it would be a shame to see it deteriorate over time. I have a friend working for https://www.thefinitygroup.com/financial-planning-for-physicians, and sometimes we have interesting chats about funding such projects. It's not as easy as it might seem.
I look forward to seeing the results!

Last edited:

Any Good Nightlife in Rhodes?

I am researching the possibility of going to Rhodes but there is someone in our party who likes nightlife. Can anyone share recommendations on the best places to go for a fun night out? I'm interested in a mix of experiences, from vibrant clubs to cozy bars. What are the must-visit spots for dancing, enjoying live music, or just having a relaxing drink with a great view?

Additionally, are there any particular areas in Rhodes known for their nightlife that I should check out? I'm also curious about any local customs or tips for enjoying the nightlife scene safely and respectfully.

I'd love to hear about any hidden gems or popular favorites that shouldn't be missed. Looking forward to your suggestions and any personal experiences you can share!

moving to rhodes & problems

I was asked today by a british couple about moving post brexit. It is extremely difficult.first you have the 90 day rule meaning you have to leave after 3 months.So In that time , you have to either find a landlord willing to give a contract or purchase a property.To do the latter you must employ a greek lawyer & a greek accountant.then you can apply for a biometric residents card ( mine took 2 months & many visits to the greek police.you need the card to apply for a greek driving licence. ( you cannot drive long term on a UK licence ) . Once yoy reach 76 you cannot rent a car . Also need the card to apply for IKA book.that entitles you to health care.proof of address is required to get a phone line & broadband.you also need a contract or property deeds to get water & electric supply.a landlord may already have those & you will get the bills from them .
I am so gratefull I moved before Brexit.

Rhodes tips for couples

I am looking for tips about visiting Rhodes for couples. I will be traveling with my significant other and no one else, and this is a first traveling without other people. I am excited!

We're looking for recommendations to make the most of our time on this beautiful island. Specifically, we're interested in:
  • Charming Places to Stay: We'd appreciate suggestions for quaint, romantic accommodations that offer a memorable experience.
  • Must-See Attractions: What are the top sights that we should not miss while in Rhodes?
  • Romantic Dining: Any hidden gems or restaurants with a romantic ambiance that would be perfect for a couple?
  • Secluded Spots: Are there any less-traveled beaches or quiet spots for some quality time away from the crowds?
  • Local Experiences: We're keen on engaging in activities or experiences unique to Rhodes – anything that's a bit off the beaten path.
  • Travel Tips: Any general advice on navigating Rhodes as a couple – transportation, safety, or local customs we should be aware of?
Thanks so much!

Traveling with a history buff to Rhodes

I am traveling with someone who lives history to Rhodes. Specifically, Medieval history (to the crusades).

I understand that Rhodes was a main player in this time period? Here are a few things on my list to visit. Did I miss anything?
  1. The Palace of the Grand Master: Standing majestically in the heart of Rhodes Old Town, this palace is one of the most striking reminders of the Knights' presence. It's said to be restored in the 20th century. I'm particularly interested in its history and the exhibitions hosted inside.
  2. Street of the Knights (Ippoton Street): Possibly one of the best-preserved medieval streets in the world. Walking down this street, lined with the inns once used by knights of different languages and origins, seems like a walk back in time. Any specific inns or details I should look out for?
  3. The Hospital of the Knights: Now housing the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes, it seems like a place rich in history. I'm curious about the exhibitions there and any pieces that are a must-see.
  4. The Fortifications: The walls and gates around Rhodes Old Town are a testament to the knights' engineering prowess. Is there a particular section or gate that offers a unique perspective or history?
  5. Rodini Park: A bit off the beaten path in terms of knightly history, but I've read that it's one of the world's oldest parks and was appreciated even during the era of the knights. Any historical remnants here connected to the knights?

Visiting the Ruins of Kimaros?

I'll be traveling to Rhodes soon and I'm very interested in visiting the ruins of Kamiros. I've heard it's one of the island's hidden gems and a must-see for history buffs. Has anyone here visited? If so, I'd love to hear your advice and any tips you have for making the most out of the trip.

A few specific questions I have:
  1. Best time to visit – When is the best time of day to go to avoid crowds and heat?
  2. Getting there – Is it better to rent a car or take public transportation?
  3. Guided tours – Are there any recommended guides or tours that provide a deeper understanding of the site's history?
  4. What to bring – Any essentials I should pack for the trip?
  5. Nearby attractions – Are there any other interesting spots nearby worth checking out?
Any other tips or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back