1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

John Stefan

ladytina

This is fascinating. Are the temples modern, or are the practices still continuing into the modern day? I had no idea this was something that was going on ... it's intriguing! Hopefully someone will chime in who knows a bit more. I've never visited these places, but am thinking I want to add it to my list for when I can get back to Thessaloniki.

Reactions: John Stefan

blopez34

I've never visited. I have heard that there is a growing minority who practice this religion... very interesting thanks for sharing

Reactions: John Stefan

The new Hellenic Temples

What neighborhoods do you recommend that I visit in Thessaloniki?

I’m only planning on going to Thessaloniki for a couple of days so I’m wondering what would be the best neighborhoods to visit. Personally, I’m not looking for anything super touristy. I like to go out to eat and shop around, and usually go back to my hotel around 10pm, so not much nightlife for me. Let me know what you all think!!

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

Fantastic exhibition happening at the Thessaloniki Museum of Byzantine Culture

This exhibition is titled "Philhellenisms, 1780-1860" and covers this crucial time period in Greek history during the Byzantine empire. The exhibition will showcase many different mediums of art including important texts from the time. The president of Greece will be attending to open up the exhibition, just showing how important and beautiful it will be to showcasing Greek history. I will be excited to visit soon!

Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter