1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

The traditional costume is really neat. It's cool watching this ceremony happen at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

I am fascinated by the Ancient Greeks. I have a feeling that some of our modern Greek recipes are similar to the ancient ones. Like spoon sweets. It think that seems like something that was developed a long time ago as a way to preserve the fruit harvest.

So, I have been researching this. What did the Ancient Greeks eat? I wanted to share this video because I thought it was interesting.

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

How did the Marshall Plan affect Greece?

I've recently taken an interest in the post-WWII recovery efforts and came across the Marshall Plan, which was introduced by the United States to aid European countries in rebuilding their economies. Given that Greece was significantly affected during the war, I'm curious about the specific impact the Marshall Plan had on Greece.

From what I've gathered, Greece, like many other European countries, faced tremendous economic challenges post-WWII, including infrastructure damage, inflation, and high unemployment rates. The Marshall Plan, formally known as the European Recovery Program, promised substantial financial aid to help rebuild war-torn nations, but I'm curious about how this plan was implemented in Greece specifically and what long-term effects it had on its economy and society.

I am so curious as to how, specifically, this plan affected Greece?

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Learning about the Spartan way of life

I find the Spartans fascinating. They seemed to have a different way of life!

The Spartans, known for their military might, also led a lifestyle that was remarkably disciplined and focused on simplicity.

The core of Spartan society was its military-oriented ethos. From a young age, Spartan boys were trained to be soldiers in the agoge, a rigorous education system that emphasized physical training, endurance, and survival skills. This preparation was not just about warfare but about creating individuals who were resilient, self-sufficient, and disciplined.

But Spartan discipline extended beyond the military sphere. Spartans lived a life of austerity and frugality that is quite alien to our modern way of living. Meals were simple, homes were unadorned, and luxuries were frowned upon. This was not out of a lack of resources but a deliberate choice to avoid softness and dependency on material comforts.

Interestingly, this Spartan simplicity also fostered a sense of equality among citizens. By eschewing luxury, Spartans aimed to reduce divisions within their society. Wealth and status were downplayed, while military prowess and moral integrity were valued above all.

What do you guys think about this or what can you add to my thinking?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back