1 - 14 of 14 Posts

d_kakavouli

Of course, there are many reputable taxi drivers in Greece, and these days it's hard to get ripped off… but you always have to remain cautious. Some of the best advice that I can give you about taking taxis in Athens is knowing a bit about what is the normal price for your area and distance. I recommend that you ask waiters, Greek friends, or your hotel concierge about what should be expected for your trip. Before you start your ride, make sure that you ask about how much the trip will cost. And make sure that they turn the meter on at the start of your trip. In addition, I always check Google maps to make sure that the taxi driver is taking the fastest route.

Of course, there are many reputable taxi drivers in Greece, and these days it's hard to get ripped off… but you always have to remain cautious. Some of the best advice that I can give you about taking taxis in Athens is knowing a bit about what is the normal price for your area and distance. I recommend that you ask waiters, Greek friends, or your hotel concierge about what should be expected for your trip. Before you start your ride, make sure that you ask about how much the trip will cost. And make sure that they turn the meter on at the start of your trip. In addition, I always check Google maps to make sure that the taxi driver is taking the fastest route.
You can use this, it will give you approximate cost for day and night trip. It takes into account the traffic as well.

We have both Uber and TaxiBeat downloaded to our phones. Per our discussions with some cab drivers, Uber is a better deal for them. But use them both, because you have better bet on securing a taxi. DO NOT get a cab from the port, as the meter is always "broken" and they will rip you off more often than not. Walk inland a bit and use your apps. Good news is that the Metra now runs into Piraeus port.

Reactions: blopez34
We have both Uber and TaxiBeat downloaded to our phones. Per our discussions with some cab drivers, Uber is a better deal for them. But use them both, because you have better bet on securing a taxi. DO NOT get a cab from the port, as the meter is always "broken" and they will rip you off more often than not. Walk inland a bit and use your apps. Good news is that the Metra now runs into Piraeus port.
I've had the same experience, it's a bit tricky to get a good driver from the airport.

I've had the same experience, it's a bit tricky to get a good driver from the airport.
Depending on where you are going and the number of bags you have, there is both the Tram and a bus that you can use from the airport. We are in Alimos near the water and the express bus works great, and its only 6 euro. There is a ticket station at the airport on the far end of the B side.

Hey, this is all really good information for living and traveling in Athens. I checked the taxi-calculator against the Uber estimate and they were pretty close (11.40 vs 12.25). You can use Uber's global estimator here: Uber Estimate

Reactions: francescool
Hey, this is all really good information for living and traveling in Athens. I checked the taxi-calculator against the Uber estimate and they were pretty close (11.40 vs 12.25). You can use Uber's global estimator here: Uber Estimate
Excellent resource, I've never seen this before but it seems pretty accurate. I used it for my own neighborhood.

Reactions: Vangelis
I have had good luck taking taxis from the airport or the port in Athens or wherever else in Greece but before I get in, I ask them the fare, and if I don't like it or think it sounds like a rip off I move on and ask another driver. Eventually I find one who quotes me a reasonable rate. Many don't run the meter in those situations and prefer to quote a standard rate. I wait to agree with them about the rate before I get in. Sometimes, when I find a driver I like, I take their card and call them directly throughout the trip.

I've had some tricky experiences in taxis in Greece until I found a driver I can rely on. I call him whenever I am in Greece and I trust that his rates are fair and he won't overcharge.

Reactions: redsoxdw_
Many taxis won't accept a card if you walk up to them and ask for a ride. The way you find a taxi that will accept a card is by downloading the app Beat. Uber is not a thing in Greece, so don't bother with it. The taxis forced uber out of the country by, literally, beating anyone who tried to uber in the country.

Reactions: redsoxdw_
I've had some tricky experiences in taxis in Greece until I found a driver I can rely on. I call him whenever I am in Greece and I trust that his rates are fair and he won't overcharge.
This is really great advice. Everything becomes easier in Greece when you develop a relationship with someone and then are able to depend on them. I highly recommend doing the same.

This is really great advice. Everything becomes easier in Greece when you develop a relationship with someone and then are able to depend on them. I highly recommend doing the same.
It's excellent advice. I hope more people take advantage of this!

Reactions: mastichas09
It's excellent advice. I hope more people take advantage of this!
I wish I did this more, it's a bit difficult for me because I don't go to Greece often and can't make connections

Unique Photo Spots in Athens?

I will be traveling to Athens this year in the spring. What are some great photo spots throughout the city? Aside from what inspires me?

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take pics while away and I come back from the vacation with a random collection. This time, I want to do some advanced planning. Some of my ideas:

- Parthenon/ Acropolis - A shot with people and the Parthenon in the background
- Food photos - plenty of shots with people - and table shots - and of myself - eating the delicious food
- Monastiraki - This place is full of life - there could be some great candid shots

Do you guys have any ideas?

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

Athens Nightlife Questions

I'm currently planning a trip to Athens, Greece, and I've heard so much about the nightlife there. I know that there is great nightlife here, I've just never done it.

Given the vast array of options, I'm reaching out to this community for personal recommendations and insights. What are your favorite nightlife spots in Athens? I'm interested in hearing about places that offer unique experiences, whether it's a bar, club, etc.

If you've had an unforgettable night out in Athens, please share:
  • Name of the place
  • What makes it stand out (music, drinks, crowd, view, etc.)
  • Any tips for newcomers (like dress code)
Also, if there are any must-know cultural etiquettes or tips for enjoying Athens' nightlife responsibly, I'd appreciate learning about those as well.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Athens airport question...

There's a group of us going to Athens and our flights get in the same day, but at different times.

Is there an easy spot to wait for the rest of our group outside of security, like a cafe or restaurant, or even an area with chairs to sit... I have only been to this airport once, and I don't remember any details about what happens after security.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back