1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nm1999

What do you usually serve for desserts at Greek Easter? I'm invited to a socially distanced Greek Easter gathering but I've never been to an easter party before, and I want to bring a dessert. Thanks

Greek Easter is an all-you-can-eat feast so I recommend to bring something refreshing that will go well with the lamb in your stomach!
If you can find baklava, ravani or "portokalopita" (served with ice cream) it would be great. Personally, I would enjoy more a strawberry shortcake or a lemon meringue tart.

Reactions: greggd12
Greek Easter is an all-you-can-eat feast so I recommend to bring something refreshing that will go well with the lamb in your stomach!
If you can find baklava, ravani or "portokalopita" (served with ice cream) it would be great. Personally, I would enjoy more a strawberry shortcake or a lemon meringue tart.
Ravani is a great option! It's a bit more light and perfect to pair with heartier meats

This year Easter falls in Autumn (fall). We do things a bit different in our home. After our Easter prayer, we break our eggs and the feast begins. Kastellorizian pilafi and gemisi are a MUST at our Easter feast. We cater for all our guests. This year vegetarian curry including roti, organic beef casserole and chicken for the white meat only eaters. Haloumi cake, spanakopita, bread (of course) and the usual dolmades, tzatziki, fetta, olives, salad. For desert (including port, coffee and tea) we serve tsoureki, kouranbries, koulourakia, fruit platter and ice cream. Galatobouriko.and baklava. Easter cake - usually chocolate cake with lots of cream decorated by the little ones with candy and chocolate eggs. If you go home hungry - it your own fault! Lots of take away containers on hand.

Reactions: cf_fraiser
This year Easter falls in Autumn (fall). We do things a bit different in our home. After our Easter prayer, we break our eggs and the feast begins. Kastellorizian pilafi and gemisi are a MUST at our Easter feast. We cater for all our guests. This year vegetarian curry including roti, organic beef casserole and chicken for the white meat only eaters. Haloumi cake, spanakopita, bread (of course) and the usual dolmades, tzatziki, fetta, olives, salad. For desert (including port, coffee and tea) we serve tsoureki, kouranbries, koulourakia, fruit platter and ice cream. Galatobouriko.and baklava. Easter cake - usually chocolate cake with lots of cream decorated by the little ones with candy and chocolate eggs. If you go home hungry - it your own fault! Lots of take away containers on hand.
Sounds so tasty!!

What do you usually serve for desserts at Greek Easter? I'm invited to a socially distanced Greek Easter gathering but I've never been to an easter party before, and I want to bring a dessert. Thanks

Koulourakia seems to be a dessert that is at all Greek Easter gatherings. There's a good recipe for that on the Food Section of greekboston.com . There are lots of different recipes out there. Once you try different ones, you'll come up with your own personal preference. It is very likely the hostess has already made some as that's one thing that can be made in advance. That being said, ANY dessert fits the bill if you're coming to our house! I often makes the likes of baklava, but I found that not necessary.

I love the traditional Greek desserts and cookies, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Koulourakia is the traditional Easter cookie. I am also a chocolate fiend so anything that features chocolate, even though it isn't traditionally Greek, has a special place in our dessert spread.

Can you make your own rusks?

I love Cretan Dakos!
There's something about the combination of the crunchy rusk soaked with the juice of ripe tomatoes, topped with fresh cheese and olive oil, that has me hooked!

However, given that I live in an area where it's challenging to find authentic Cretan rusks, I'm contemplating on whether I can bake my own at home. I'm curious if anyone here has attempted to make rusks suitable for dakos from scratch.

I know I can order then online. I tried this, and they didn't survive the shipping too well.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Most common seafood in Greece?

What is the most common seafood in Greece?

I recall having an abundance of delicious, fresh caught seafood but I can't remember the names of most of the fish. I had delicious octopus and that's the only thing I remember for sure.

I am going to Greece again - I thought I would try to figure what are some fish and other seafood, besides octopus, that I should look forward to?

I see octopus everywhere. I think I may have eaten fresh sardines at one point. Maybe some calamari and a different kind of lobster, too...

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back