1 - 8 of 8 Posts

kcixcy

hey everyone! My husband is Greek and we're going to be celebrating Greek Easter this year and I wanted to know if there are any trendy or cool ways to die a Greek Easter eggs. I want to add my own twist and get the kids involved too. Drop pics if you have them!!

We have always stayed with the tried and true Greek tradition of dying all of the Easter eggs red, although having some different colors for the kids can certainly be fun!

greek-easter-720x480.jpeg

Reactions: Joni T.
We have always stayed with the tried and true Greek tradition of dying all of the Easter eggs red, although having some different colors for the kids can certainly be fun!

View attachment 92
In our family, only red eggs, symbolic of the blood that Christ shed for us. I guess different colors could have been fun as long as the true symbolism was internalized. As for a trendy way to dye them? Red food coloring doesn't do the trick. I purchase some non-toxic dye from Sophia's Market in Lowell, MA. My mother actually used to use Ritz dye...thank God we didn't get poisoned!

Last edited:
In our family, only red eggs, symbolic of the blood that Christ shed for us. I guess different colors could have been fun as long as the true symbolism was internalized. As for a trendy way to dye them? Red food coloring doesn't do the trick. I purchase some non-toxic dye from Sophia's Market in Lowell, MA. My mother actually used to use Ritz dye...thank God we didn't get poisoned!

I can't believe they used ritz dye!!! Remember we used to use food coloring, but the eggs would be pink LOL. The dye we get from the Greek store works really well.

Last edited:
Reactions: voula_slat
Mom, I can't believe they used ritz dye!!! Remember we used to use food coloring, but the eggs would be pink LOL. The due we get from the Greek store works really well.
Yup, I speak truth. That's what MY mother did. I never did.

View attachment 92
I tried the dye from the greek markets as well as the 'american' dyes but can't get it right. I heard that using onion skins or beet roots do a good job, trying to decide which to try this year. Anyone have a good/bad experience with either?

I tried the dye from the greek markets as well as the 'american' dyes but can't get it right. I heard that using onion skins or beet roots do a good job, trying to decide which to try this year. Anyone have a good/bad experience with either?
I've tried beet root before, the color wasn't as strong but I did like the fact that it was all natural so it was sort of worth it. Something about eating the eggs after they're soaked in chemical dyes doesn't sit right with me.

hey everyone! My husband is Greek and we're going to be celebrating Greek Easter this year and I wanted to know if there are any trendy or cool ways to die a Greek Easter eggs. I want to add my own twist and get the kids involved too. Drop pics if you have them!!
We use birthday candles (because they are thin) to draw on the eggs BEFORE you dye them. If you do that then the dye does not adhere to the egg and you can see the design in white after it's done! They look great!

Greek Naming Traditions?

I have noticed that in Greece, there are some traditions associated with naming their children. Although some Greek families in the United States have done this, many have seemed to lose the traditions.

Does anyone know what some of these traditions are? I am helping a friend name his upcoming child... Here's some of what I have learned:

1. Firstborn daughter names after maternal grandmother
2. Firstborn son named after paternal grandfather
3. Firstborn son named after father

Those are the ones I have figured out. I don't know what is traditional from Greece and what has just been made up amongst Greeks in the US.

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Name Days Celebrations

I have been encouraging my family and friends to let me know when their name days are. I know for my immediate family, of course, but I want to start honoring name days in addition to birthdays like they do in Greece.

But aside from wishing someone Chronia Polla, or happy name day, what else can we do? How do people in Greece celebrate? Is it much like a birthday?

Greek Wedding Traditions Roundup

I am helping someone plan her Greek wedding. I wanted to make a list of all the traditions we need to keep in time for the big day. Did I miss anything?

The Stolisma

The wedding day begins with the ritual of 'Stolisma,' where the bride and groom are prepared separately by their families. It's a moment filled with emotion, songs, and blessings, setting the tone for the day. I had honestly never heard of this. Do people still do it?

The Krevati

An amusing tradition is the 'Krevati' (bed making), where family and friends gather to decorate the couple's future bed with baby items, symbolizing fertility and a happy family life. Money is also often thrown on the bed for good luck and prosperity.

The Crowning (Stefana)

One of the most iconic rituals during the ceremony is the exchange of crowns or 'Stefana.' I believe they need to buy the crowns they want in advance?

Koufeta

No Greek wedding would be complete without 'Koufeta'—sugar-coated almonds given to guests as wedding favors. These bittersweet treats represent the ups and downs of married life and are shared in odd numbers to symbolize indivisibility and shared life.

Ideas for Celebrating the New Month - Kalo Mina

Growing up, I heard my family say this all the time when there was a new month. I finally started paying attention to the tradition and ritual of saying it.

Kalo Mina actually means "Good Month" but my family took it a step further. We developed the habit of doing something special as a family to celebrate.It depends which day it falls. Some things we've done:

- Brunch - We do this if it falls on a weekend.
- Dinner - Going out to dinner is great any time of the year!
- Journaling - We've done family journaling parties, sitting together reflecting on the month. Sometimes we read aloud what we write (depends how the month went LOL)
- Goals - No matter if we do anything, like go out to dinner or brunch, we always sit and review our goals for the month together.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back