1 - 6 of 6 Posts

tomipark

Please let me know!!! Feel free to debate in the comments I know there are a lot of
possibilities.

Reactions: Hash
Here are some of my favorite Greek mezze (appetizers):

- Saganaki
- Dolmades
- Tiropita

Here are some other Greek mezze recipes to consider trying:

Please let me know!!! Feel free to debate in the comments I know there are a lot of
possibilities.
Gigatez,Fava,fasolia,Bamiesz,
Melitzanosalada,Taramosalata,...More later!👌

possibilities.
Oh my God, there is such a huge variety of delicious & irrisitable mezedes , both panhellenic and regional. For example, in Rhodes they make "pitaroudia." They are like little, irregular circles of very coarsely ground, whole, cooked chick peas with flour, spices & local herbs, gently & quikly fried in shallow olive oil at a medium temp. They require some know how skill to make. I never attempted because I could eat them inexpensively at the various tavernas and resturants throughout the island. They would vary slightly from place to place but they were always so delicious & delectable & great with tzadzitki. The first time I eat them was at the Panorama Taverna on the highway close to the Tzambika Monestary, Archangelou. In retrospect I think those were my favorites so far, There are no eggs in pitaroudia and can be considered vegetarian. If one could back they they could also be eaten during strict lent, which very few ever practice any more

Oh my God, there is such a huge variety of delicious & irrisitable mezedes , both panhellenic and regional. For example, in Rhodes they make "pitaroudia." They are like little, irregular circles of very coarsely ground, whole, cooked chick peas with flour, spices & local herbs, gently & quikly fried in shallow olive oil at a medium temp. They require some know how skill to make. I never attempted because I could eat them inexpensively at the various tavernas and resturants throughout the island. They would vary slightly from place to place but they were always so delicious & delectable & great with tzadzitki. The first time I eat them was at the Panorama Taverna on the highway close to the Tzambika Monestary, Archangelou. In retrospect I think those were my favorites so far, There are no eggs in pitaroudia and can be considered vegetarian. If one could back they they could also be eaten during strict lent, which very few ever practice any more
I found this recipe online and they look amazing! I've never heard of this dish and I'm so excited to try it. I'm a really big fan of regional dishes that usually get lost in the popular Greek food that we eat in the states. https://www.dianekochilas.com/pitaroudia-chickpea-fritters-with-tahini-sauce/

Fries made in olive oil, fava dip (puree of fava beans with herbs, garlic, etc), Skordalia dip, dolmades, tiropita, taramasalata ... I could go on and on but these are some of my favorites.

Best meze to serve at Easter?

What is the best Greek meze to serve for Greek Easter? I want dishes that will wow my guests and make this Easter unforgettable. I’m looking for meze that are both traditional and have that ‘wow’ factor in terms of visual appeal and taste. I’d appreciate if you could share your favorites and perhaps some personal tips or recipes that make them stand out.

Here’s what I’m considering so far, but I’d love your input:
  • Tzatziki - A refreshing yogurt, cucumber, and garlic dip.
  • Spanakopita - Hearty spinach and feta pie encased in flaky pastry.
  • Dolmadakia (Stuffed Grape Leaves) - A tangy and herb-infused delight.
  • Feta cheese. A classic - I sometimes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
  • Olives. No meze spread is complete without olives.
What else should I put out? Or is that enough? We're having about 20 people.

Top herbal teas popular in Greece?

Could anyone share insights or recommendations on which herbal teas are the most popular or cherished in Greece? I'm particularly interested in teas that are unique to the region or have a special place in Greek culture and wellness practices.

Also, if you have any suggestions on where I might purchase these teas, especially if they're available online, that would be incredibly helpful! I'm eager to try making some of these teas at home and experiencing a taste of Greek herbal tradition.

Thank you in advance for your help! I’m looking forward to exploring your suggestions and hopefully discovering some new favorite teas.

Creative ideas for Easter lamb leftovers?

We cooked too much Easter lamb than we needed and have a ton leftover. I am sure I am not the only one! I am brainstorming ways to use the leftovers. Do you guys have anything to add?

1. Gyros with lamb (Tzatziki and all the trimmings!)
2. Lamb sandwiches
3. Stir fries
4. Lamb in rice and tomato sauce
5. Wraps
6. Omelets and scrambles (think steak and eggs, but with Greek flavors and of course lamb instead of steak)

grilled-lamb-chops.jpg

What foods go best with ouzo?

I am curious - what goods go best with Ouzo? Traditionally, I don't actually pay attention.

From my understanding, Ouzo is traditionally enjoyed with small plates, similar to tapas, known as "mezedes" in Greece. Yet, I’m eager to hear from those who have either traveled to Greece or have an in-depth knowledge of Greek cuisine about what specific dishes you think would pair best with Ouzo. Are there specific flavors or types of dishes (seafood, meats, vegetables) that enhance the experience of sipping Ouzo?

Learning about Greek food and wine pairing

I've recently developed a fascination with Greek wines and am eager to explore their potential pairings with various cuisines. Greek wines, with their rich history and unique grape varieties, offer a tantalizing range of flavors that I believe can complement a wide array of dishes beautifully. However, my experience in effectively pairing these wines is somewhat limited, and I would greatly appreciate any advice or insights from those more familiar with this area.

Particularly, I'm interested in understanding which types of Greek wines (white, red, or rosé) pair best with specific dishes or cuisines. Here are a few specific questions I have in mind:
  1. Assyrtiko: Known for its crisp acidity and citrus notes, which dishes would best highlight Assyrtiko's characteristics?
  2. Agiorgitiko: Often described as smooth and velvety, what kinds of meals would complement this type of red wine?
  3. Xinomavro: With its robust tannins and complex flavor profile, what are the best food pairings to balance its intensity?
  4. Retsina: Given its unique pine resin flavor, are there particular foods that match well with this traditional wine?
Additionally, I'm curious if there are any general rules of thumb when it comes to pairing Greek wines with dishes from other culinary traditions outside of Greek cuisine.

Thank you!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back