1 - 5 of 5 Posts

acamp7

I love the beach, but when I'm in the city I like to cool off at a nice rooftop pool. Any tips for good pools that are open to the public? I don't usually stay in hotels fancy enough for a pool LOL

Most people don't think of pools when going to Greece since the beaches are so amazing, but here are a few good resources that talk about some of the best public pools in the Athens area:

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: Vangelis
Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso is home to Divani Athens and Thalasso Centre. The vast 3.500m2 Spa and Thalassotherapy centre is the only facility offering Thalassotherapy in the Athens region and has been awarded as Greece’s Leading Spa Resort. Located on a privileged setting next to the sea, the centre offers revitalizing Thalassotherapy programs and a selection of beauty and fitness treatments

Reactions: kosta_karapinotis
Divani Apollon Palace & Thalasso is home to Divani Athens and Thalasso Centre. The vast 3.500m2 Spa and Thalassotherapy centre is the only facility offering Thalassotherapy in the Athens region and has been awarded as Greece’s Leading Spa Resort. Located on a privileged setting next to the sea, the centre offers revitalizing Thalassotherapy programs and a selection of beauty and fitness treatments
Thanks for the advice!!

I don't think I have ever been in a pool in Greece! I usually just find a reason to hit the beach and take a dip in the sea. :) I will say that I stayed at the Divani Apollon Palace once and the pool did look really nice, even though I never went into it.

Tips for saving money in Athens?

I'm planning a trip to Athens and though I'm excited, I'm also trying to be mindful of my budget. The charm of historical sites like the Acropolis, the Plaka district, and experiencing the vibrant Greek culture is something I cannot put a price tag on. However, I am looking for ways to stretch my euros further while enjoying what Athens has to offer.

Does anyone have tips or personal experiences to share on saving money while traveling in Athens?

athens-greece.jpg

Interesting Museums I Like in Athens

Athens is rich with museums but there are a few I keep visiting when I get the chance. I always learn something new! My favorite is the museum at the Acropolis, which has a lot of information and artifacts from the area. Here's my list:
  1. The Acropolis Museum: Dominating this list is The Acropolis Museum, built to house every artifact found on the sacred rock of the Acropolis, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. A splendid blend of modern and ancient architecture, it holds an incredible array of sculptures and artifacts, including the Caryatids and the Parthenon Frieze.
  2. The National Archaeological Museum: As the largest museum in Greece, this is a treasure trove for history enthusiasts. It boasts an extensive collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, spanning several millennia—pottery, jewelry, sculptures, and the Mask of Agamemnon.
  3. Benaki Museum: Representing various periods throughout Greek history, the Benaki Museum is a private foundation, nestled in the heart of downtown Athens. It offers a comprehensive view of Greek culture from its prehistoric times to the 20th century, with an emphasis on art and everyday objects.
  4. Museum of Cycladic Art: A unique gem in Athens, this museum is home to an exceptional collection of Cycladic art, mostly dating from the Bronze Age. These prehistoric sculptures, with their distinct minimalist aesthetics, are a fascinating window into the ancient Aegean world.
What museums do you like to visit in Athens?

Ancient Eleusis Archaeological Site

I have been to Athens several times, and I didn't know this place existed. Ithas caught my interest due to its rich mythology and pivotal role in ancient Greek religious life.

I understand that Eleusis was a significant center for religious practices, most notably the Eleusinian Mysteries—secret ceremonies held in honor of Demeter and Persephone. However, my knowledge barely scratches the surface, and I’m eager to learn more before my visit.

Has anyone visited it? I don't know much about it and I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. I love Ancient Greek history and mythology and this has the potential to be interesting to me on a lot of different levels.

Churches to visit for Liturgy in Athens

I'll be in Athens soon, and I would like to go to church! I am trying to find a church that has liturgy that is preferably by my hotel. I am staying in the Plaka.

Do any pop you know if any of these are good?

Monastery of Daphni – The Monastery of Daphni is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located just outside of Athens.

Agios Nikolaos Rangavas Church – This church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the most beautiful religious buildings in the city.

Metropolis Cathedral – The Metropolis Cathedral is the largest and most historic church in Athens, with a rich history that dates back over a thousand years.

The Church of the Holy Apostles – This Byzantine church dates back to the 10th century and is considered one of the best-preserved examples of Byzantine architecture in Greece.

St. Irene’s Church – St. Irene’s Church is located in the heart of Athens and is considered one of the oldest Byzantine churches in the city.

Best Shopping in Athens

My wife and I are going to Greece in a few days. We both like to shop (her more than me) but we've never actually had enough time in Athens to explore the shopping.

Where should we go?

Someone told us Monastiraki is a good choice, but are there other places? We'll have a few days to poke around.
Share and discuss your Athens photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back