1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I love cooking, and I learned at a very young age. I love being able to share my Greek heritage with people. I have some favorite recipes to share with my non-Greek friends:

- Spanakopita - I have had so many people ask me how to make it!
- Tiropita - I don't actually have a set recipe - I always make it differently, and for me, that is part of the charm. It always has at last feta, though!
- Village salad - It is my favorite salad, and I only make it in the summer when everything is fresh, so it's a real treat
- Souvlaki - this is a crowd pleaser and a great addition to any barbecue!

How about you? What do you like to cook for Greek food?

Your favorite recipes are all crowd pleasers and very popular with non Greeks and Greeks.
My favorite are
Pastichio
Gemista
Imam
Makarionia me kima
Tzatziki
Taramosalata
And Baklava (a dessert but love it)

Reactions: GreekGirlCooks
Your favorite recipes are all crowd pleasers and very popular with non Greeks and Greeks.
My favorite are
Pastichio
Gemista
Imam
Makarionia me kima
Tzatziki
Taramosalata
And Baklava (a dessert but love it)
Love this! I haven't made makaronia me kima in a while. I will have to dust off my recipe.

Giouvetsi, ladopsomo, tigania kotopoulo, kokkinisto, saganaki me meli kai sousami, gavros tiganitos

Giouvetsi, ladopsomo, tigania kotopoulo, kokkinisto, saganaki me meli kai sousami, gavros tiganitos
Excellent choices - I also love cooking ladopsomo and many of the others you mentioned. I made makaronia me kima (Chef Pemi inspired me) and forgot how much I love that too!

My favorites to make are:

- Spanakopita
- Fasolakia
- Plaki
- Koulourakia
- Horiatiki

Great thread!

What do you think of Gyro variations?

There are some gyro shops near me in the United States and they seem to be putting a different spin on the classic dish. There are some variations. What do you guys think of the variations?

I don't recall seeing these variations in Greece, but I could be wrong. Variations such as - gyros made with different meats, like chicken, those made with Greek meatballs, souvlaki, etc.

And what do you think of putting fries in Gyros? I do see that in Greece.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Different kinds of baklava to try?

I've recently found myself on a delicious quest to explore the world of baklava, that rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup. I understand that baklava has roots in many culinary traditions across the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, each bringing its own unique twist to this iconic dessert.

From what I’ve gathered, the variations of baklava are as numerous as they are delicious, differing in nuts, spices, types of syrup, and preparation methods. However, navigating through these variations is quite the challenge, and that’s where I’m seeking your collective wisdom!

I am curious what you guys think!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back