1 - 4 of 4 Posts

greggd12

I love getting to know the specific culture of the places I travel to. I've heard that Crete is pretty unique! What's special about Crete that I can't experience anywhere else?

Cretan culture is absolutely beautiful! Cretans are some of the most hospitable and kind people I've ever met. I remember one time my car broke down while we were traveling in Crete and three older men came and helped me fix it. They really take philotimo to another level.

To the seasoned traveler or the dedicated dreamer, Crete has always been linked with the idea of summer, conjuring in the vacation-starved mind images of pristine beaches, alluring turquoise waters, smiley happy people dancing on the beach, and romance under the stars.
And yes, Crete is all these things. But legendary Cretan summers aside, spring, autumn and winter in Lassithi also have so much to offer the visitor that one is bound to be surprised that this tiny part of Crete island holds such diversity.

‘This World So Small, So Great’
In 1959, the Greek Noble Prize winner for poetry (1979) Odysseus Elytis wrote in To Axion Esti: “This world so small, so great”. And that is exactly what travelers to Greece should seek; to find those off-the-grid experiences that offer a glimpse not only into the Greek way of life and how the landscape has ‘crafted’ the locals’ love of the good life, but also insight into their very own inner longings and daydreams, which can actually come true here.
FB_IMG_1617395188664.jpg

Reactions: The Local Favour
Although most of Greece enjoys a locally sourced diet that is close to the land, somehow this feels even more incredible on Crete. The island is self sustaining, but the fact that there are different micro climates on the island means that the local food is filled with a lot of variety. Mountains, fresh produce, the sea... it's all contained here and the diet reflects it. Here's one of my favorite, simple dishes on the island. It's called dakos:

dakos-cretan-bruschetta-720x478.jpg

Best Beaches with Services on Crete

It's tough for my family to visit beaches that don't have services - like a restaurant, bathrooms, because we are traveling with multiple generations and usually spend the whole day.

Do the following beaches have services? I will be going with my family end of June next year:

- Elafonissi
- Balos
- Matala
- Stalis

I am having a hard time visualizing based on descriptions I am finding online.

Tourists Enter A Bus Dressed As... Ancient Greeks!

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back