1 - 4 of 4 Posts

voula_slat

It's crazy to think that something I've come to value so much about modern Greek people is actually from the ancient Greeks. Does anyone know where, when or from whom the concept of philotimo emerged in Ancient Greece?

nickstamoulis

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Me too! I love this concept. But I don't think there's any specific way to trace something like philotimo. It's something unique to Greek people, that came from ancient Greece. But it's more of a mindset so I guess we’ll never know.

Reactions: knicks_fan87

knicks_fan87

According to my google search, the word came from Athens around the 4th and 5th centuries BCE!!

What is the history behind Greek Independence Day?

Hi guys! What is the significance of Greek Independence Day (March 25)?

How historical are some of the traditional Greek dances?

I know a handful of common Greek traditional dances, such as the Syrtos (Kalamatianos), Zymbeiko, tsamikos, hasaposervikos, the "Never on a Sunday", the syrtaki, and a few others. Do any of these have roots in Ancient Greece?

What is the difference between ancient Greek and ancient Roman architecture?

I've noticed so many similarities, but when it comes down to it: what are the differences between the two architecture styles?

What is the history of philotimo?

It's crazy to think that something I've come to value so much about modern Greek people is actually from the ancient Greeks. Does anyone know where, when or from whom the concept of philotimo emerged in Ancient Greece?

What are your favorite Greek history documentaries/films?

Hi guys! Film and history buff here. I especially love old foreign films, do any of you have some Greek favorites?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter