1 - 9 of 9 Posts

d_kakavouli

Hi guys, I’ve never been to Greece before, even though my whole family is Greek. I’m going to Thessaloniki, but only for a few days because i’m going to be visiting my mom’s family in Chalkidiki. What do I need to see and where do I need to go? Authentic answers only :)

Reactions: cubrinj
Hey! I’ve been living in Greece for some time now, and I love Thessaloniki. If you like museums, you def have to go visit the Museum for Macedonian struggle. The best beach is the Agia Triada beach and then of course the white tower or Lefkos Pyrgos is a must!! Just look how pretty it looks during the sunset

thessaloniki-greece-250x167.jpg

A good friend of mine is from Thessaloniki and for my trip this year he suggested that I visit Aristotle square in the city and the archeological museum, he knows the city very well so I trust him! I can’t wait for my trip!!!

Reactions: cubrinj
When I visited Thessaloniki last I went to a bunch art museums and they were amazing, arguably better than Athens! If you’re a fan, I would suggest the Teloglion foundation of art, the Macedonian museum of contemporary art and the dozens of small art galleries that line the streets of downtown. I bought one of my favorite paintings from a local artist at one of his galleries and it still hangs above my bed! I love it!

KTIMA PEREK: If you have a car, there is a restaurant out in the outskirts of the city. The drive from the city there is gorgeous and the surroundings of the restaurant are absolutely stunning. If I remember correctly, this restaurant is associated with a nearby Pontic village and the restaurant itself serves Pontic style pita. This place is very authentic, tourists don't know about it, so you have mostly Greek families from Thessaloniki coming in for an afternoon away from the city. The restaurant grounds has outdoor gardens and a small playground. You can easily spend three hours out here. Suggest to go here with your extended family, as it can accommodate large tables https://www.perek.gr/en/restaurant

Reactions: Fetk
If you want to explore, until recently, a little known aspect of the city, get to know the history of the Jewish community of Thessaloniki:

To visit sites within the city, I'd recommend

1) The Jewish Museum of Thessaloniki: https://inthessaloniki.com/item/jewish-museum-of-thessaloniki/

2) Molho Bookstore, the oldest book store in the city, owned by a Sephardic family since...... that serves the whole city. You can read about the bookstore here as well about other historical Jewish sites:

Hi guys, I’ve never been to Greece before, even though my whole family is Greek. I’m going to Thessaloniki, but only for a few days because i’m going to be visiting my mom’s family in Chalkidiki. What do I need to see and where do I need to go? Authentic answers only :)
Thessaloniki is very beautiful. Many nice sites to see! "Sophia

Will only have a few hours in Thessaloniki...

I am going to Thessaloniki in the late summer (I forget the dates). It's a stop on a Greek cruise. I have been to Greece a lot before but have never done a cruse. I have also never been to Thessaloniki. Any suggestions as to what I can do with my time while I am here? I will be doing a tour of another stop the day prior, so for Thessaloniki I am thinking I just want to explore.

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

Self Guided Tour of Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know of any resources that will help me give myself a "self guided" tour of Thessaloniki?

I know I can look up all the main places online as I am there. However, I am more interested in finding a narration ahead of time and listening to it while I drive around and see some of the sites. Does such a thing exist?

I am in Thessaloniki for a short time with a group of people who don't like to do "tours" so I have some time to go off by myself for a few hours one of the days.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back