1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dubai_suzie

Where are the best panigiria and celebrations?? I want to celebrate the Greek way :)

We would recommend spending time in a small village and often those are some of the best panigria celebrations!

Here is more information to look at:

You need to go to a village. I go to the village (we are from a small village) for it and there are a couple thousand people who show up in the village to dance (they are from surrounding villages) and we go to each others' villages to celebrate... You may want to brush up on your Greek if you choose to go to a village (unless it's a touristy one) because many people in the villages don't speak English - you will find very few people in my village and the surrounding villages who speak English.

These are some videos taken from my wife's village and another village near by. As you can see, there are a lot of people. This is what you have to look forward to if you go to a village

Last edited:
You need to go to a village. I go to the village (we are from a small village) for it and there are a couple thousand people who show up in the village to dance (they are from surrounding villages) and we go to each others' villages to celebrate... You may want to brush up on your Greek if you choose to go to a village (unless it's a touristy one) because many people in the villages don't speak English - you will find very few people in my village and the surrounding villages who speak English.

These are some videos taken from my wife's village and another village near by. As you can see, there are a lot of people. This is what you have to look forward to if you go to a village

This looks amazing! Everyone coming together for a wonderful celebration, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I think I'll ask around and see if my Greek friends have any family from smaller villages. Does this type of party happen at most villages? Or is it the more traditional ones?

I totally agree, you'll want to spend time in a village! If you're staying in a hotel, you might want to ask there, where to go for the celebration.

When does Orthodox lent start this year?

I noticed our Easter is late - May 5th - but Western Easter is at the end of March. Has Lent already started for them? When does our Lent start?

This year, I plan to do a stricter Lenten fast, so I want to plan some things out in advance.

Lent is a time for introspection, repentance, and spiritual growth. Through the dedicated practice of fasting, prayer, and charity, believers seek not only to grow closer to God but also to better understand themselves in relation to God’s will.

Greek Easter Family Traditions

I am curious what your family traditions are for Greek Easter. I know lent hasn't even started yet, but I've started doing some planning to make sure my family has all of its traditions all set. Sometimes it takes me a while to find ingredients for some of the foods I serve, etc.

Of course we spend Holy Week in church. We do our best to fast during Lent, and once Easter comes, it's all about serving our traditional dishes. This year I might spend part of lent in Greece to visit some religious sites.

What do you guys all do?

Netflix Show about Alexander the Great

I just noticed there was a show about Alexander the Great on Netflix. How is it?

I have been noticing some buzz that it's fairly controversial, but those who are unhappy about it ... I can't tell if they actually know about him, or if they are just upset about how he was depicted.

I am trying to figure out if I want to watch it so your honest reviews are welcome.

I have studied Alexander the Great a little bit and no a bit about his life, so I am sincerely hoping it's worth my time. I am between shows at the moment.

Greek Dance Instruction Video - Will Be Attending a Wedding

I will be attending a Greek wedding. They're friends of the family. Although I am Greek, many of our friends aren't. Since about 50% of the music at the reception will be Greek, I thought it would be fun to brush up on our Greek dancing together.

The problem is, I forget some of the dances, so I will also need to brush up. I can't teach people until I am a bit stronger.

I found this video. It's pretty good. Does anyone know of any more videos that can show me some Greek dancing?

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back