1 - 9 of 9 Posts

nadellii

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the seafood from the Aegean Sea or the Mediterranean Sea. I know that they're very close to each other, and probably have very similar marine life… But I am a seafood junkie and would love to know if there's any superior seafood spots that people have been to in Greece. Or if there are any marine biologist out there who happen to know about the differences between the seafood available in each region. :) Thanks!

I haven't noticed a difference between the Mediterranean and Aegean, but that doesn't mean there isn't one..

The islands are going to have the best seafood, which is strange. You'd think that being on the sea all of Greece would have great seafood, but it doesn't. Most of the stuff on the mainland will be frozen, while the the islands will have fresh seafood.

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the seafood from the Aegean Sea or the Mediterranean Sea. I know that they're very close to each other, and probably have very similar marine life… But I am a seafood junkie and would love to know if there's any superior seafood spots that people have been to in Greece. Or if there are any marine biologist out there who happen to know about the differences between the seafood available in each region. :) Thanks!
I haven't noticed a difference and I have had great seafood all over Greece. As long as it's fresh, I am happy!

Reactions: nm1999
you can visit these places Kalymnos, Santorini, Mykonos for the best seafood

You will find excellent seafood all over Greece, especially the Greek islands . You need to make sure you get wild fish not farmed fish! There are a lot of fish farms in Greece, they farm most of the popular fish. There are plenty of imported fish there as well. They usually come from Africa, they are not as good as fish caught in Greece. Fish must be fresh and kept on ice. Good quality fish are very expensive in Greece, especially in summer months.

You will find excellent seafood all over Greece, especially the Greek islands . You need to make sure you get wild fish not farmed fish! There are a lot of fish farms in Greece, they farm most of the popular fish. There are plenty of imported fish there as well. They usually come from Africa, they are not as good as fish caught in Greece. Fish must be fresh and kept on ice. Good quality fish are very expensive in Greece, especially in summer months.
This is great advice. You can always ask if the fish is fresh, but restaurants in Greece might not be as honest as those in the U.S..

Some will but others may not. Farmed fish are usually very fresh and they are very cheap especially for Americans this year , you have parity with Euro! In most cases restaurants will have glass displays so you can see the fish. You tell them which fish you want, they will weigh them because they will charge you per kilo. It is hard to explain but you can differentiate the farmed fish from the wild just like you can tell if they are reasonably fresh or not. If the price is low ( wild fish are expensive in Greece) you can bet they are farmed. Farmed fish are usually fat unlike wild fish. They are all about the same size . Common farmed species are, lithrinia, fagria, ( both similar, like snapper) tsipoures and lavrakia.
They export a lot of these to other EU countries and elsewhere. I think Greece is the biggest exporter of farmed fish in EU.

Reactions: mj_toronto8
Some will but others may not. Farmed fish are usually very fresh and they are very cheap especially for Americans this year , you have parity with Euro! In most cases restaurants will have glass displays so you can see the fish. You tell them which fish you want, they will weigh them because they will charge you per kilo. It is hard to explain but you can differentiate the farmed fish from the wild just like you can tell if they are reasonably fresh or not. If the price is low ( wild fish are expensive in Greece) you can bet they are farmed. Farmed fish are usually fat unlike wild fish. They are all about the same size . Common farmed species are, lithrinia, fagria, ( both similar, like snapper) tsipoures and lavrakia.
They export a lot of these to other EU countries and elsewhere. I think Greece is the biggest exporter of farmed fish in EU.
Yes, I've noted that in the states as well. Farmed salmon is sooooo lean!!

I haven't noticed a different, I just know that I have great seafood in Greece. This was an interesting thread, it was fun to read all of your inputs!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Sustainable Travel to Greece?

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece and am passionate about making my travel as sustainable and eco-friendly as possible. Given the beauty and historical significance of Greece, I want to ensure that my visit contributes positively to the environment and local communities there.

Does anyone have any tips or experiences they could share on sustainable travel practices in Greece? I'm looking for advice on everything from eco-friendly accommodations, sustainable dining options, to ways of exploring the country that minimize my carbon footprint. Also, if there are specific activities or tours that support local conservation efforts or communities, I'd love to hear about those too!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back