1 - 9 of 9 Posts

ssherie_

What’s a tasty greek shrimp dish? I’m looking for something that’s a crowd pleaser for a small get together this weekend.

I would toss the shrimp in a ladolemono (Greek oil and lemon dressing) and then either grill them or sauté them. Here's a recipe for the grilled version. https://www.greekboston.com/food/shrimp-kabobs-recipe/

I want to add that you shouldn't marinate it more than an hour because the acid from the lemon will cook the shrimp. One hour is perfect, though.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
The best shrimp dish i’ve come across is shrimp youvetsi. It’s shrimp in a red sauce with orzo, I love it! This is a recipe I found on google: https://www.kalofagas.ca/2015/03/21/shrimp-giouvetsi-γαρίδες-γιουβέτσι/

Reactions: cubrinj
I love doing a classic and simple seafood pasta with some fresh tomato sauce. So tasty :)

shrimp.jpg

Reactions: Markros
Shrimp saganaki with feta, tomatoes and small Greek chilli peppers is a great appetizer. In my own version I use leftovers (if any) on linguini pasta and fresh parsley on top of it.

Reactions: greggd12
What’s a tasty greek shrimp dish? I’m looking for something that’s a crowd pleaser for a small get together this weekend.
I do agree with prawn pasta , orzoto etc. But let’s not forget the absolutely delicious “saganaki”with ouzo , white wine,fresh roasted tomato sauce , star anise, oregano, parsley etc gratin with feta cheese! Absolutely delicious.

Reactions: greggd12
I do agree with prawn pasta , orzoto etc. But let’s not forget the absolutely delicious “saganaki”with ouzo , white wine,fresh roasted tomato sauce , star anise, oregano, parsley etc gratin with feta cheese! Absolutely delicious.
Ughhhh I LOVE shrimp saganki

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

Best Greek Wine Regions?

I'm on a quest to discover the finest vineyards Greece has to offer. With a winemaking history that spans over four millennia, it has a rich wine tradition even though a lot of people don't know much about it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has explored Greek wine regions or from connoisseurs who have a particular fondness for Greek varieties. What regions should I place at the top of my list, and are there any specific vineyards or wines that are absolute must-trys?

From the famed Santorini Assyrtiko to the bold reds of Nemea, I'm eager to taste and learn about the exceptional flavors and story behind each bottle. Whether it's a little-known gem or an iconic estate, I'm all ears for your recommendations.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back