1 - 4 of 4 Posts

dpappas87

I found this dish once at a Greek festival in Florida when I was visiting some people, and I haven't seen it since. I happened to remember the name of the dish - Ekmek Kataifi. I would REALLY love to learn how to make it. I had it a few years ago, and I think of it now and then. I have found some recipes online but they don't quite look like what I ate there - I don't know why. The photos for the ones I have found made it look like a solid piece, whereas the texture of the one I ate was a lot creamier and softer. So I have been nervous that the recipes wouldn't give me the right dish... (even though it had the correct name).

k_tsoukalas

I think all recipes that you can find are all similar - they end up with a creamy type of custard - regardless of what the pics look like. I would just choose one and dive in - I think some of the creaminess from what you ate may be because some people put whipped cream on top, and some don't. If you like extra creaminess this is something to keep in mind.

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
I will agree wit k_tsoukalas. If you do find a recipe that you like but you are afraid of the cream being too thick then I suggest adding an extra 1/2 cup of milk or cream. It wouldn’t ruin the integrity of the cream. It should make it loose enough to see the difference, if not next time you make it, add another ¼ cup. If you see it’s too too thick then kiss add half the amount. -Pemi

dpappas87

I will agree wit k_tsoukalas. If you do find a recipe that you like but you are afraid of the cream being too thick then I suggest adding an extra 1/2 cup of milk or cream. It wouldn’t ruin the integrity of the cream. It should make it loose enough to see the difference, if not next time you make it, add another ¼ cup. If you see it’s too too thick then kiss add half the amount. -Pemi
Thank you for the advice! I will try it.

Greek Methods of Cooking Question...

In looking through Greek cookbooks, I have noticed that there are a lot similarities between recipes. For example, I found a Gigantes Plaki (baked gigantes beans in tomato sauce) that looked identical to a baked beans recipe that uses lima beans.

That is just one example, but there are many instances. Lentil soup recipes look very similar to white bean soup recipes. Some stuffed cabbage recipes look very similar to dolmades recipes.

Is this a common thing? It seems that I can simplify my efforts to learning about Greek cooking if I think about recipe types and understand they are all similar... what do you guys think?

Quick Greek Dinner Ideas

Many of the Greek dishes I know how to cook are very time consuming for me to put together, like stuffed grape leaves and spanakopita.

Sometimes, I want to eat Greek food, but I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Can you think of some easy Greek suppers besides salads to eat? I cook village salad and cabbage salad, but am also open for suggestions for different salads. I know I could always serve souvlaki with them. I know that is fairly quick, aside from the marinating.

How to Make Soutzoukakia?

I recently had soutzoukakia and I loved it! They seemed similar to Keftedes meatballs but they were shaped differently, and I couldn't tell but they may have been grilled?

Does anyone know how to make these? I was just going to make my regular meatball recipe and put it on a stick and cook it on the grill. I didn't know if there was more to it than that!

Favorite Vegan Greek Foods for Lent?

Lent is around the corner and this year, I thought I would go all in and stick with Vegan foods during lent. I thought I would gather ideas from you guys, and I will share a few of my own.

- My family used to make a yellow split pea soup that was very simple. I will track down how to make it and get the recipe from someone.
- Foods like lentils, hummus, fava beans are great - any recommendations? I could always make lentil soup, beans in tomato sauce...
- Vegetables in tomato sauce - have seen lent versions with no oil, potatoes, legumes, veggies... any ideas? Looks like I can use nearly anything.

Thanks for chiming in!

What do you use for grill seasoning?

I usually just use ladolemono, but I am looking for different ideas. This is to grill pretty much anything. I either do salt and pepper or ladolemono - looking for new ideas.

I have a friend who makes a rub with Greek spices, but didn't tell me what she puts in it. I've had it, it tastes like there's oregano, a little garlic, and something with heat. Like maybe ground red pepper?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube