1 - 13 of 13 Posts

auroracoor1

Are there scorpions? Poisonous snakes or red ants in Greece? Anything I need to watch out for while hiking especially?

Reactions: Hash
I am actually not sure, I have never worried about this. I found this article, maybe it will help? I wonder what others will say!

Reactions: kcixcy and Hash
I am actually not sure, I have never worried about this. I found this article, maybe it will help? I wonder what others will say!

In Mykonos we have seen the viper... and big one too!!!..... don't step on the sea urchins by mistake.... very painful indeed!..... carrying a hiking stick would be appropriate.....in Mykonos there are dangerously beautiful ladies sunbathing and gays as well!! a lot of them naked too!!!...so please be careful....😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Vangelis

Scary!! I haven't seen many of these animals in Greece though...they're probably hard to come across

Scary!! I haven't seen many of these animals in Greece though...they're probably hard to come across
It is very scary, now that I think about it!!!

Reactions: dubai_suzie
The one bad "animal" related thing that happened to me is that I got bitten by a lot of mosquitos or flies or something one night while watching the sunset on Crete. Otherwise, I don't really think about it. There doesn't seem to be much around...

The one bad "animal" related thing that happened to me is that I got bitten by a lot of mosquitos or flies or something one night while watching the sunset on Crete. Otherwise, I don't really think about it. There doesn't seem to be much around...
Living in Mykonos thru 90s and 2000 beyond there were no mosquitos at all until late 2010 onwards and then the nastiest bites..... until then apart from the Dominican Republic which was another experience, Mykonos was mosquito free.... Love to hear from others in other parts of Greece and their experiences!🤗❤️

Reactions: nadellii
Living in Mykonos thru 90s and 2000 beyond there were no mosquitos at all until late 2010 onwards and then the nastiest bites..... until then apart from the Dominican Republic which was another experience, Mykonos was mosquito free.... Love to hear from others in other parts of Greece and their experiences!🤗❤️
Mosquitos are awful in Greece!! Although I find that some years are worse than others in terms of mosquitos. Luckily they rarely carry any diseases, so just keep mosquito spray and after bite and you will be fine.

Mosquitos are awful in Greece!! Although I find that some years are worse than others in terms of mosquitos. Luckily they rarely carry any diseases, so just keep mosquito spray and after bite and you will be fine.
Here in Thailand we have Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes and other types too..... Despite precautions,hand made lemongrass[I have grown all around the house] and peppermint oil, still they can bite through....as I write this on my hammock at the beach there are one or two being a nuisance!!!...and bitten also... Such is life...👋🤗..... Kalley Mera!

Reactions: nm1999
Here in Thailand we have Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes and other types too..... Despite precautions,hand made lemongrass[I have grown all around the house] and peppermint oil, still they can bite through....as I write this on my hammock at the beach there are one or two being a nuisance!!!...and bitten also... Such is life...👋🤗..... Kalley Mera!
I love these natural remedies!! I hate the chemicals that they have in mosquito repellent and they're actually bad for you and the environment

I love these natural remedies!! I hate the chemicals that they have in mosquito repellent and they're actually bad for you and the environment
With rosemary oil and I also use lemongrass leaves inside the spray... just chop a few and put in the car as air freshener... Kalley Mera from Thailand!...... Monsoons and a huge 4 day rain storm together, just unbelievable weather conditions.... Global warming in action...

Reactions: greek_ggirl
With rosemary oil and I also use lemongrass leaves inside the spray... just chop a few and put in the car as air freshener... Kalley Mera from Thailand!...... Monsoons and a huge 4 day rain storm together, just unbelievable weather conditions.... Global warming in action...
Wow, stay safe <3 thinking of everyone there

Are there scorpions? Poisonous snakes or red ants in Greece? Anything I need to watch out for while hiking especially?
The only thing you need to watch out for in Greece are Albanians and refugees that have invaded Hellas

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Parnassos Ski Resort in Greece

Believe it or not, I find skiing in Greece to be pleasant. I know Greece isn't thought to have a climate good enough for skiing, but it's good enough. I have to go to Greece soon, and this is one of my favorite places to ski:

The resort offers outstanding skiing opportunities for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced skiers. With over 40 kilometers of marked ski slopes, Parnassos Ski Resort is equipped with the newest and most advanced skiing equipment to ensure that customers enjoy an unforgettable experience.

There is also a place to stay here, which is nice, plus activities other than skiing to please the family.

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back