1 - 13 of 13 Posts

auroracoor1

Are there scorpions? Poisonous snakes or red ants in Greece? Anything I need to watch out for while hiking especially?

Reactions: Hash
I am actually not sure, I have never worried about this. I found this article, maybe it will help? I wonder what others will say!

Reactions: kcixcy and Hash
I am actually not sure, I have never worried about this. I found this article, maybe it will help? I wonder what others will say!

In Mykonos we have seen the viper... and big one too!!!..... don't step on the sea urchins by mistake.... very painful indeed!..... carrying a hiking stick would be appropriate.....in Mykonos there are dangerously beautiful ladies sunbathing and gays as well!! a lot of them naked too!!!...so please be careful....😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Vangelis

Scary!! I haven't seen many of these animals in Greece though...they're probably hard to come across

Scary!! I haven't seen many of these animals in Greece though...they're probably hard to come across
It is very scary, now that I think about it!!!

Reactions: dubai_suzie
The one bad "animal" related thing that happened to me is that I got bitten by a lot of mosquitos or flies or something one night while watching the sunset on Crete. Otherwise, I don't really think about it. There doesn't seem to be much around...

The one bad "animal" related thing that happened to me is that I got bitten by a lot of mosquitos or flies or something one night while watching the sunset on Crete. Otherwise, I don't really think about it. There doesn't seem to be much around...
Living in Mykonos thru 90s and 2000 beyond there were no mosquitos at all until late 2010 onwards and then the nastiest bites..... until then apart from the Dominican Republic which was another experience, Mykonos was mosquito free.... Love to hear from others in other parts of Greece and their experiences!🤗❤️

Reactions: nadellii
Living in Mykonos thru 90s and 2000 beyond there were no mosquitos at all until late 2010 onwards and then the nastiest bites..... until then apart from the Dominican Republic which was another experience, Mykonos was mosquito free.... Love to hear from others in other parts of Greece and their experiences!🤗❤️
Mosquitos are awful in Greece!! Although I find that some years are worse than others in terms of mosquitos. Luckily they rarely carry any diseases, so just keep mosquito spray and after bite and you will be fine.

Mosquitos are awful in Greece!! Although I find that some years are worse than others in terms of mosquitos. Luckily they rarely carry any diseases, so just keep mosquito spray and after bite and you will be fine.
Here in Thailand we have Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes and other types too..... Despite precautions,hand made lemongrass[I have grown all around the house] and peppermint oil, still they can bite through....as I write this on my hammock at the beach there are one or two being a nuisance!!!...and bitten also... Such is life...👋🤗..... Kalley Mera!

Reactions: nm1999
Here in Thailand we have Dengue fever carrying mosquitoes and other types too..... Despite precautions,hand made lemongrass[I have grown all around the house] and peppermint oil, still they can bite through....as I write this on my hammock at the beach there are one or two being a nuisance!!!...and bitten also... Such is life...👋🤗..... Kalley Mera!
I love these natural remedies!! I hate the chemicals that they have in mosquito repellent and they're actually bad for you and the environment

I love these natural remedies!! I hate the chemicals that they have in mosquito repellent and they're actually bad for you and the environment
With rosemary oil and I also use lemongrass leaves inside the spray... just chop a few and put in the car as air freshener... Kalley Mera from Thailand!...... Monsoons and a huge 4 day rain storm together, just unbelievable weather conditions.... Global warming in action...

Reactions: greek_ggirl
With rosemary oil and I also use lemongrass leaves inside the spray... just chop a few and put in the car as air freshener... Kalley Mera from Thailand!...... Monsoons and a huge 4 day rain storm together, just unbelievable weather conditions.... Global warming in action...
Wow, stay safe <3 thinking of everyone there

Are there scorpions? Poisonous snakes or red ants in Greece? Anything I need to watch out for while hiking especially?
The only thing you need to watch out for in Greece are Albanians and refugees that have invaded Hellas

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste

Itinerary for self-planned yacht trip through the Greek islands

I am working on planning a yacht trip through Greece. I live it because I am in total control of the itinerary and what goes on, unlike booking a cruise or something. There's enough of us in the group to make this a super affordable trip.

I am developing am itinerary - thought I'd run it by you:

1. Athens to Mykonos: Begin in the historic port of Athens and make your way to the cosmopolitan island of Mykonos. Dock at Agios Ioannis beach and take a stroll through Little Venice.
  2. Mykonos to Naxos: Naxos awaits, with its marble gateway to nowhere and beautiful beaches. Try the local kitron liqueur for a true taste of the island.
  3. Santorini: Sail to the iconic island of Santorini, where the sunset from Oia is second to none. Enjoy a swim in the hot springs of Palea Kameni and taste some of the best wines in Greece.
  4. Ios to Folegandros: Keep the vibes high in Ios known for its lively atmosphere, then find tranquility in Folegandros, where the untouched Mediterranean prevails.
  5. Return to Athens: Wrap up your adventure with a pitstop in Syros, the capital of the Cyclades. Its charm lies in its austere yet handsome neoclassical buildings and the stunning Aegean views.

What do you think? Anything to add or subtract? I have about 10 days.

yacht-greece.jpg

List of Interesting Places to Visit in Greece

I thought I would make a list of some great places in Greece. Some I've visited, some I'd like to visit. Any recommendations on what I should add to the list? Thanks!

1. Athens: Athens provides the perfect contrast to the beautiful island vibe of Greece. Athens is the capital city of Greece and boasts of enthralling ancient history. Athens indeed is a treasure trove of history, and it's a must-visit. You don't want to miss the world-famous Acropolis, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the National Archaeological Museum.

2. Santorini: If you're after stunning views and indulging in luxury, Santorini should be your next destination. Known for the iconic blue domes, Santorini is a volcanic island that provides a picturesque view of the sunset over the sea. It's an ideal destination for lovers and honeymooners to indulge in the island's romantic atmosphere.

3. Crete: Crete is the largest Greek Island full of culture, history, and food. The Island is famous for its beaches, nightlife, and delicious food. You can experience Greek hospitality at its finest, as Cretans are some of the friendliest people you'll meet.

4. Mykonos: Mykonos is a small island, but it's known for its vibrant nightlife, stunning beaches, and white-washed buildings. If you love partying and clubbing, then Mykonos is a place you should definitely tick off your bucket list. Don't miss experiencing the hazy atmosphere into the early hours of the morning.

5. Meteora: Meteora is a UNESCO world heritage site located in the northern region of Greece. It's known for the incredible rock formations and breathtaking monasteries that sit atop the rocks. If you're looking for a spiritual and serene experience, Meteora should be your top priority.

6. Delphi: Delphi is another significant cultural site located in Greece and is often called the center of the earth. It was once known as the navel of the world and holds great importance in Greek culture and history.

7. Rhodes: Rhodes is an exquisite island in Greece that is rich with history and charm. Known for its ancient history, Rhodes offers a picturesque view of rugged terrain that stands tall against the coastline.

8. Naxos: Less crowded than its neighboring islands, Naxos is a beautiful island that offers something for everyone. From crystal clear water to beautiful sandy beaches and a mild climate, it's a perfect location to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the world.

9. Corfu: Located in the Ionian Sea, Corfu is one of the greenest places in all of Greece. Corfu offers a relaxing atmosphere, and it's the perfect location to take a step back from the busy life and just enjoy the stunning view.

10. Hydra: If you're looking for a unique experience, Hydra should be on your list of places to visit in Greece. One of the most peaceful islands in Greece, Hydra is free of cars, and its unique bohemian vibe, stunning architecture, and tranquil surroundings make it a perfect destination.

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back