1 - 5 of 5 Posts

paharo45

I would love to visit Corfu one day and learn about what regional dishes they offer. I know that I want to travel all over Greece, and try the classics like Gyro, moussaka and all of that good stuff. But I know that there's so much more to learn about and try, especially in Corfu, I’ve even heard of a regional type of pastitsio that they have. Does it look and taste like this one?

Vegetarian-Pastitsio-720x1079.jpg

Never tried that, but the food in Greece is truly amazing!

The veggies and fruit have such a great taste, it must be due to the weather/climate and soil found in different regions of Greece!

Restaurant-Corfu-720x480.jpeg

There are various Corfiot dishes to enjoy, like bourdeto (my favorite), sofrito and pastitsada. The first is made with fish, the second and the third with beef. Never heard of a different pastichio version in Corfu. They make it in the same way people make it all over Greece. It's actually an Italian dish and 'pastichio' means 'mess' in Italian!

Reactions: acamp7
The pastitsio that you speak of is called pastitsio dolce. It’s a super rare find, and I only heard of it because I have a friend from Corfu. It doesn’t taste too much like the tradtitional Greek pastitsio, it can have different types of meats like veal, chicken or pork. It really depends on who’s making it.

The Italian influence is super strong in Corfu, and it’s pretty rare which is why many people haven’t heard of dishes like Pastitsio Dolce. Pastisada is another Italian style dish. It’ a casserole dish that consists of pasta and veal, beef or poultry, that is cooked with chili peppers, garlic, onions, wine, olive oil, vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, fresh or canned tomatoes, black ground pepper, and grated kefalotyri or Parmesan cheese. There are different variations but this is how I’ve had it.

Visiting Corfu this Summer

I am thinking to head to Greece this summer and I want to spend my time going places I have either never been before, or have only spent a short amount of time at and I would love to return.

Corfu is on my list. I don't know much about it s I am having a hard time focusing my attention so that I can plan my time. I have about five nights to spend here. My most immediate concern is, do you have any recommendations on where to stay on the island?

Three Days or So in Corfu?

I was thinking of visiting Corfu over summer of 2024 and I am not sure how many days to stay. I was thinking that three days is a good amount, and that will enable me to visit other places in Greece (and other people - I have friends and family to visit).

Anyway 3 or 4 days really is ideal. But now, what to do? I have been watching a lot of content - there is some great travel content on YouTube and people love to visit Greece. Anyway, here is a great video:

Weather in Corfu Question

I am going to Corfu soon - maybe in about three weeks (mid-September).

What is the weather like? I have never been there...

I know on islands like Crete it's still pretty warm in mid September with beach weather. That island is further south than Corfu. Does it make a huge difference? I will be going to Crete, too, so I am trying to figure out how to pack.

Religious Sites to See on Corfu

There are a lot of churches and monasteries in Corfu and when I visit, I won't have a lot of time. What should be my priorities?

I am intrigued by the relics of Saint Spyridon but am having trouble finding where they are on the island. Is it simply called, the Shrine of Saint Spyridon?

I would love to visit some other churches and monasteries if possible. Any information you have will be good!

Unesco World Heritage Sites of Corfu

I'm currently planning a trip to the beautiful island of Corfu and I'm keen on visiting some of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites that are located there. Being a bit of a history buff, I believe that exploring these sites can give me a deeper understanding of the island's cultural heritage and historical significance.

Could anyone here share more information about the UNESCO site on Corfu? Is there only one? The Corfu Old Town? What should I prioritize to see in Old Town?

Thanks!
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back