1 - 6 of 6 Posts

redsoxdw_

I am attending a wedding in Greece where the people aren't Greek, and they're also not Orthodox. So, it will be a JP type ceremony on Mykonos...

They are getting married on one of the beaches.

Honestly, it sounds fun - but I am not sure how to dress or what the etiquette is or what to give as a gift! I am putting up a considerable expense to acctually attend this and someone said they weren't expecting gifts, but that just doesn't feel right to me. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Hash
Well, this is a good one. For dress, I would wear something simple, not formal or casual, but a basic plain dress, any color but not black or white. As for not accepting gifts, I think an envelope with a card containing money would be appreciated. Sometimes saying no gifts is another way of saying, we prefer money. If you can get Greek cash or a money order (not even sure they have them in Greece, but think they'd have something similar), I think that would be appreciated. If you see others at the reception handing the newly married couple envelopes, I'm pretty sure they'd have money in them.

Hope you enjoy it all and kalo taxidi!

My daughter just has her wedding in Crete. Almost everyone who came was from the US. They recognized that the expense to attend was considerable and didn’t expect gifts - completely discretionary. If you do decide to get something remember they have to pack it. Maybe an olive wood cutting board or something small to commemorate the destination.

Beach wedding dress is generally casual sundresses unless the specify differently.

I am attending a wedding in Greece where the people aren't Greek, and they're also not Orthodox. So, it will be a JP type ceremony on Mykonos...

They are getting married on one of the beaches.

Honestly, it sounds fun - but I am not sure how to dress or what the etiquette is or what to give as a gift! I am putting up a considerable expense to acctually attend this and someone said they weren't expecting gifts, but that just doesn't feel right to me. What do you guys think?
I used to live and work in Mykonos... IMO casual linen wear!..Do you know which beach?.. Enjoy your time, let us know how it goes!.... post some pics!... Good day from Thailand and Monsoons.
Here's a wedding video of excellence!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for chiming in. For all of us going we will do the "fancier side of casual" beachy sort of clothing ... I decided to give some money. That was a great insight - they want the gift, they don't want us to feel pressured.

They have both been married before and have an established household - they've told us that they're just happy we are able to go and celebrate with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hash
Thank you everyone for chiming in. For all of us going we will do the "fancier side of casual" beachy sort of clothing ... I decided to give some money. That was a great insight - they want the gift, they don't want us to feel pressured.

They have both been married before and have an established household - they've told us that they're just happy we are able to go and celebrate with them.
Yes chic,cool,beachy, linens, casual....... that's the way!.... normally bare feet too!... Let us know how it turns out... Kalley Mera from Thailand!

Where did plate smashing come from?

When Greeks feel happy and are dancing and have a good time, they've been known to smash plates. I've seen it! It's not just a tourist thing - but they don't do it much because I am sure they won't want to smash their expensive dish wear.

I was just at a wedding and they had purchased plates to smash - so basically they were cheap throwaway plates that actually smashed really well. I almost wonder if they were made for the purpose...

It got me thinking - where did this tradition come from? Does anyone know?

List of Cretan Dances?

I will be attending a Cretan wedding and am curious about the traditional Cretan dances! I know the dances are slightly different and I want to learn some. I don't know the names of the dances so that I can look them up. I did some research, though. Are any of these dances common at these weddings?
  • Pentozali
  • Sousta
  • Siganos
  • Chaniotis
There's a dance the wedding party typically does in Crete. Which dance is that?

Greek Easter Holy Week Liturgies!

What is kefi exactly?

I have always found the concept of kefi to be intriguing, and I would like to learn more about it from those familiar or even vaguely aware of this notion. From what little I understand, kefi seems to embody a unique blend of joy, spirit, and passion, deeply ingrained in Greek culture. It's more than just a word; it's a lifestyle, a form of expression, an unbridled enthusiasm for life.

However, I'm curious to know about the deeper nuances and applications of kefi. How does kefi manifest in day-to-day life, not just in Greece, but wherever one might find joy and enthusiasm? Is it something that can be consciously cultivated, or does it spontaneously bloom in moments of happiness and high spirits? It seems like it really permeates the culture, especially in Greece.

Thinking about the Greek way of hospitality...

I thought I would ask your thoughts oh Philoxenia - or the Greek way, or art, of hospitality. I noticed this when I travel in Greece. People are so kind, they often go out of the way for us, when I feel that they don't have to! How can one describe this to someone?

From what I understand, Philoxenia is not merely a practice but a deeply ingrained value within Greek culture that extends far beyond the simple act of hosting. It reflects a genuine, heartfelt welcome to strangers, treating them with the same respect and generosity one would show to a dearly beloved friend. This beautiful tradition, passed down through generations, turns the act of hosting into an art form, embodying warmth, respect, and a profound sense of human compassion. There have been so many stories I can think of...

This thought process was triggered because we were watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - someone in the village had taken on a Syrian refugee. Is this a Greek hospitality thing? Philoxenia?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back