1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nadellii

I am starting this thread now of pictures from the beautiful island of Kefalonia! It is definitely one of my favorites on the western side of Greece, with the exception of Zakinthos. Please leave some pictures in the comments! I would love to see them.

91671091-69A5-496D-89D8-0527CA3B0B6E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Vangelis
Myrtos Beach Kefalonia

Myrtos beach Kefalonia.jpg

Reactions: dimi_pat
Reactions: Vangelis
This island is so pretty! I will have to visit these places. :)

What to do in Faskardo Village on Kefalonia

I visited this village once maybe eight years ago and I want to go back. I have some notes about the things to do there. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts. Did I miss anything? I want to take my family there because I found the place to be really beautiful.

• Stroll the Waterfront Promenade: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the picturesque harbor with its array of colorful fishing boats and yachts.
  • Explore Historical Venetian Architecture: Take in the charming Venetian-style buildings that survived the 1953 earthquake, giving Fiskardo its unique character.
  • Relax at Foki Beach: Spend a day sunbathing and swimming in the serene bay of Foki, surrounded by olive groves and cypress trees.
  • Join a Boat Tour: Embark on a boat excursion to discover remote beaches, hidden coves, and the stunning coastline around Fiskardo.
  • Visit the Fiskardo Nautical and Environmental Museum: Learn about the maritime history and natural environment of the region through engaging exhibits.
  • Hike to the Lighthouse: Follow the scenic trails leading out of Fiskardo to the iconic lighthouse and enjoy panoramic views of the sea.
What did I miss? Anyone have any restaurants to recommend?

What to do in Kefalonia with family?

I'm currently planning a family trip to the stunning island of Kefalonia and would love your insights. We're a large family and we're all going. My sister has two kids - one is 12 and the other is 9. We are also traveling with my parents.

From our initial research, we know that Kefalonia boasts beautiful beaches, fascinating caves, and picturesque villages. However, we want to ensure our trip is as memorable for our children as it is for us.

Could anyone recommend:
  • Family-friendly beaches with shallow waters and fun activities?
  • Cultural or historical sites that are engaging for children?
  • Places to see wildlife or participate in outdoor adventures suitable for young ones?
  • Any local eateries that are great for families, perhaps with play areas or menus catered to kids?
We're also open to any tips on getting around the island with children, as we're debating between renting a car or relying on public transport.

Thanks!

Making Christopsomo- Christmas Bread

I will be traveling to Greece this Christmas and I want to make some Christopsomo to give to my family when I go. I have never made it and want to run something by you - do these ingredients look right? It looks very similar to tsoureki to me but with a lot of spices. I am also nervous there's too much flour in the recipe.

- 8 cups or so of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of honey

Traveling to Kefalonia in the Summer

Now that the holidays are behind me, I am starting to think about traveling to Greece in 2023. I want to visit a place I never have before, and I am thinking that Kefalonia might be a great place to explore. I would like to be on the island during when the sea turtles are on the beaches laying there eggs - I always loved wildlife and it seems fascinating. How long in the season? It is maybe a month? If so, would it make sense to visit in June?

So, I want to go to Greece in the summer so I can spend a lot of time on the beach. I know, I can go throughout the summer and into at least the early fall and still have great beach weather, but June works out the best for my schedule and I love taking a vacation around that time.

Besides the turtles and beaches, what else do you guys recommend?

Always wanted to see the turtles in Kefalonia...

I have a bucket list of going to Kefalonia while the turtles are on the beaches. I love turtles and this seems like a really beautiful thing.

I found this video that talks about them. It's not quite seeing them in person, but it was informative. Thought I'd share:

Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back