1 - 11 of 11 Posts

John D

Preliminarily planning a belated 50th Anniversary Trip 3 years later from Phila, PA to Crete for late August/ early September and trying to find the "best connections". Length of stay at least 8 - 10 days, depending on the connections. So far I see PHL to ATH is 9 1/2 hours, ATH to Crete is 50 minutes. PHL to London is 6+ hours, London to Crete 5+ hours. While total times are within a couple of hours of each other, also trying to factor in the wear & tear on these ole bods. Will be using American Airline miles so that will restrict carriers. Would appreciate any suggesttions/recommendations from anyone that's made this trek. Thank you in advance!

I have trekked from Boston to Crete. In one trip, we had a layover in Zurich, and then spent I think two nights in Athens. From there we took an overnight Ferry to Crete - had a sleeping cabin. I liked it, it was relaxing, but I made the mistake of checking my luggage and I should have kept it with me - getting the luggage after the ferry ride was pure chaos. You are lucky that you seem to be able to go direct to Athens and then another flight to Crete. I would have been in a situation of having two layovers - one in Zurich, and another in Athens, before flying to Crete, which is why I ended up on the Ferry. At the time they didn't seem to have many (if there even were any) options for a direct flight. I recommend the ferry as an option, actually, especially if you think you might want to spend some time in Athens.

I have trekked from Boston to Crete. In one trip, we had a layover in Zurich, and then spent I think two nights in Athens. From there we took an overnight Ferry to Crete - had a sleeping cabin. I liked it, it was relaxing, but I made the mistake of checking my luggage and I should have kept it with me - getting the luggage after the ferry ride was pure chaos. You are lucky that you seem to be able to go direct to Athens and then another flight to Crete. I would have been in a situation of having two layovers - one in Zurich, and another in Athens, before flying to Crete, which is why I ended up on the Ferry. At the time they didn't seem to have many (if there even were any) options for a direct flight. I recommend the ferry as an option, actually, especially if you think you might want to spend some time in Athens.
k - thank you for your prompt reply! Since I posted, found AA flys @ 6:30 P, arriving 11:00 A next day. While I find out how much time to clear customs, looking into flights to Crete (only 50 minutes). As of now thinking of banging it out in 1 marathon (since it's Greece *S*) trip. Since my planning is in the preliminary stage, I'm interested in exploring the ferry option you mention. Thanks again! John

The best option when arriving in Athens from North America is to find a connecting flight to your final destination in Greece
Regional flights are operated mainly by Aegean/Olympic or Sky Express.
AA not having a codeshare agreement with these two airlines (with the Sky Alliance group), you will have 2 tickets. One for Athens and another for Athens-Crete. And therefore have to collect your checked baggage in Athens to register it on the Athens-Crete flight.

With a United flight which is part of the Sky Alliance group you could find a USA-Crete flight in one ticket. Your luggage would then be sent directly to Crete.

As you are coming from a non-Schengen area, you will have to go through passport control. Customs control is only necessary if you have something specific to declare. If not, take the "nothing to declare" exit.

Athens Airport is a single building that is fairly easy to use. Once your luggage collected, go through the controls, then simply go upstairs (Departures level) and find the counters corresponding to your destination.

With Aegean/ Olympic you can check in via the app 48 hours before your flight and get your boarding pass on your smartphone.

2h30 hours is a minimum for a layover if you have checked baggage.
3H / 3H30 is probably safer in case your USA-Athens flight is delayed, especially since you arrive in high season.

Preliminarily planning a belated 50th Anniversary Trip 3 years later from Phila, PA to Crete for late August/ early September and trying to find the "best connections". Length of stay at least 8 - 10 days, depending on the connections. So far I see PHL to ATH is 9 1/2 hours, ATH to Crete is 50 minutes. PHL to London is 6+ hours, London to Crete 5+ hours. While total times are within a couple of hours of each other, also trying to factor in the wear & tear on these ole bods. Will be using American Airline miles so that will restrict carriers. Would appreciate any suggesttions/recommendations from anyone that's made this trek. Thank you in advance!
There is more than one airport in Crete, as you may know.

When you talk about wear and tear, avoiding the Athens Airport is a plus. We flew Philly to Frankfort to Santorini a few years back. On the way back, we stayed near the Athens Airport one night (at the Holiday Inn, actually) before returning to Philly.

If you are going to stay in Athens overnight, be careful that you aren't overweight with your domestic flight.

The best option when arriving in Athens from North America is to find a connecting flight to your final destination in Greece
Regional flights are operated mainly by Aegean/Olympic or Sky Express.
AA not having a codeshare agreement with these two airlines (with the Sky Alliance group), you will have 2 tickets. One for Athens and another for Athens-Crete. And therefore have to collect your checked baggage in Athens to register it on the Athens-Crete flight.

With a United flight which is part of the Sky Alliance group you could find a USA-Crete flight in one ticket. Your luggage would then be sent directly to Crete.

As you are coming from a non-Schengen area, you will have to go through passport control. Customs control is only necessary if you have something specific to declare. If not, take the "nothing to declare" exit.

Athens Airport is a single building that is fairly easy to use. Once your luggage collected, go through the controls, then simply go upstairs (Departures level) and find the counters corresponding to your destination.

With Aegean/ Olympic you can check in via the app 48 hours before your flight and get your boarding pass on your smartphone.

2h30 hours is a minimum for a layover if you have checked baggage.
3H / 3H30 is probably safer in case your USA-Athens flight is delayed, especially since you arrive in high season.
Jolui - thank you for your interest. Ideally would use United for the single ticket but for this trip using AA bonus miles. And appreciate the smartphone tip. John

There is more than one airport in Crete, as you may know.

When you talk about wear and tear, avoiding the Athens Airport is a plus. We flew Philly to Frankfort to Santorini a few years back. On the way back, we stayed near the Athens Airport one night (at the Holiday Inn, actually) before returning to Philly.

If you are going to stay in Athens overnight, be careful that you aren't overweight with your domestic flight.
Hi Nick, and thank you for your interest. Preference for Athens airport because of PHL direct flight and ability to reach Crete the same day we land. We'll be staying in Athens overnight for US departure - why would that affect weight?

Hi Nick, and thank you for your interest. Preference for Athens airport because of PHL direct flight and ability to reach Crete the same day we land. We'll be staying in Athens overnight for US departure - why would that affect weight?
When you are leaving there is not a problem

It is when you go to Greece that you may find domestic flights which have a lower weight limit than for international flights. Years ago, an exception would be made for international travelers but that is no longer the case. It can be quite costly if you are paying for overweight bags on a European domestic flight.

When you are leaving there is not a problem

It is when you go to Greece that you may find domestic flights which have a lower weight limit than for international flights. Years ago, an exception would be made for international travelers but that is no longer the case. It can be quite costly if you are paying for overweight bags on a European domestic flight.
Nick - again - thank you! Good to know.

Pay particular attention to Athens Crete flights offered by low cost airlines such as Ryanair which charges up to 40€ for a maximum 20kg check-in bag.
(which can sometimes double the initial price)

Pay particular attention to Athens Crete flights offered by low cost airlines such as Ryanair which charges up to 40€ for a maximum 20kg check-in bag.
(which can sometimes double the initial price)
Jolui, thank you. In the planning stage was only considering Olympic & Sky Express - I believe I can arrive in Chania & depart from Heraklion with those 2.

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.

Tips for visiting monasteries in Greece

While visiting the monasteries, remember you are in a sacred place. Dress modestly, with legs and shoulders covered, to show respect for the local customs and faith. Keep your voice low to preserve the peaceful ambiance and adhere to any photography restrictions to respect the privacy of the monks.

I've had some people ask me, so I thought I'd start a post about etiquette. If you are out taking tours and you don't dress properly, be sure to look for a scarf or skirt (for the ladies) that they may provide to make you respectable enough to enter the space. It's far better, though, to dress properly in your own wardrobe!

Loud talking is a no-no. It's also a good idea to observe Orthodox customs when entering the sacred space, even if you aren't Orthodox. Non-orthodox may venerate icons, light candles, submit prayer requests, etc.

Can anyone think of anything else to add?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back