1 - 5 of 5 Posts

knicks_fan87

The Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival is an annual international competition that showcases artists from around the world that create some of the best documentaries. The submission ends pretty soon on January 12! Your documentary must be over 70 minutes long to be eligible for entry into the film festival. I am excited too see all of the submissions and see who ends up winning the award! Best of luck to all of the filmmakers. Here is the link for more information https://www.athina984.gr/en/2022/01...st-apo-to-festival-ntokimanter-thessalonikis/

I am so excited to see that this festival is back on. I've always wanted to go! I am finally planning a trip to Thessaloniki, and I am hoping that it syncs up with the festival.

Thanks for sharing this! 🇬🇷🇬🇷

I am so excited to see that this festival is back on. I've always wanted to go! I am finally planning a trip to Thessaloniki, and I am hoping that it syncs up with the festival.
I agree - this is one of my favorite things to do in Thessaloniki, and the film festival is a great one not only for Greece, but the independent film industry as a whole.

Reactions: greek_ggirl
I agree - this is one of my favorite things to do in Thessaloniki, and the film festival is a great one not only for Greece, but the independent film industry as a whole.
I believe that the films are only getting better and better in the last few years. I have seen a resurgence of great cinema in Greece and it makes me so happy!

Food Specialties of Thessaloniki?

I am looking into regional cuisines in Greece and I am actually going to Thessaloniki at some point this year to visit some people. What are some unique dishes, and maybe concepts, that may the culinary food scene here unique?

From my initial research, I understand that Thessaloniki is known for its vibrant markets, exceptional seafood, and sweet treats. However, I'm eager to dig deeper and explore the authentic local specialties that this city has to offer. I believe that the best way to experience a new culture is.

What are some dishes I should look out for? Or maybe some ingredients, too?

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

Heard there was a Christmas market in Thessaloniki?

I want to do something festive this year in Greece. I am going to be in Thessaloniki for a short time and I heard that there is actually a Christmas market? Is it any good?

Do any of you have any details?

I heard the market is in Aristotelous Square, but that's all I know about it. I am assuming there will be vendors and things to buy - maybe I can do some Christmas shopping here?

Day Trips from Thessaloniki

What are some good day trips to do while in Thessaloniki? Some ideas to start:

- I know there are some great beaches in the area
- Did I see that Meteora is doable for a day trip?
- Are there any day cruises to nearby islands or anything?

A newly inaugurated museum in Thessaloniki (and free guided tours offered there)!

In 1922 the Greek population of Asia Minor (or Anatolya, i.e. the asian part of modern Turkey) was expelled from their homeland. Arriving at Greece, they brought together their culture, and, above all, their faith and sacred artefacts. They built new churches, strongholds of their very identity. The entrance of the museum

In the church of St. Marine, east Thessaloniki (37 Agias Marinas str.), on the 200th anniversary of our national tragedy, a new museum was inaugurated. It houses icons and other sacred artefacts carried by Greek refugees. It is a unique opportunity to get to know a completely unknown aspect of our tradition in a completely uncrowded and unknown place of our city! The captions of the various objects, which are exhibited in a small hall, are only in Greek, so if you want to pay a visit, you have to book a guided tour (FOR FREE) via the following mail: [email protected]. The tour includes also the entire church complex (chapel of St. Elena of Sinope, main church of St. Marine). The church is accesible via bus (line 37, stop: Agia Marina, or line 14, stop: Agia Varvara).General view of the church from the north-east
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back