1 - 5 of 5 Posts

knicks_fan87

The Thessaloniki Documentary Film Festival is an annual international competition that showcases artists from around the world that create some of the best documentaries. The submission ends pretty soon on January 12! Your documentary must be over 70 minutes long to be eligible for entry into the film festival. I am excited too see all of the submissions and see who ends up winning the award! Best of luck to all of the filmmakers. Here is the link for more information https://www.athina984.gr/en/2022/01...st-apo-to-festival-ntokimanter-thessalonikis/

ladytina

I am so excited to see that this festival is back on. I've always wanted to go! I am finally planning a trip to Thessaloniki, and I am hoping that it syncs up with the festival.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing this! 🇬🇷🇬🇷

ladytina

I am so excited to see that this festival is back on. I've always wanted to go! I am finally planning a trip to Thessaloniki, and I am hoping that it syncs up with the festival.
I agree - this is one of my favorite things to do in Thessaloniki, and the film festival is a great one not only for Greece, but the independent film industry as a whole.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

I agree - this is one of my favorite things to do in Thessaloniki, and the film festival is a great one not only for Greece, but the independent film industry as a whole.
I believe that the films are only getting better and better in the last few years. I have seen a resurgence of great cinema in Greece and it makes me so happy!

These are the top three beaches in Thessaloniki

If you ask me, I personally don't love going to the beach near the city. I find that the beaches aren't the best, but if you're touring the city and interested in going for a quick swim, these are your best options. The video does a great job of showing exactly what the beaches are like! Websites will show you photoshopped pictures that are edited to show the clearest waters and cleanest beaches. That's why I like to go to YouTube to see the reality of what I'm signing up for.

Fantastic exhibition happening at the Thessaloniki Museum of Byzantine Culture

This exhibition is titled "Philhellenisms, 1780-1860" and covers this crucial time period in Greek history during the Byzantine empire. The exhibition will showcase many different mediums of art including important texts from the time. The president of Greece will be attending to open up the exhibition, just showing how important and beautiful it will be to showcasing Greek history. I will be excited to visit soon!

Katerini is a great tourist town outside of Thessaloniki

Katerini is a lesser known beach and tourist town near Thessaloniki. There are some great restaurants right by the water that are very authentic and offer many different options like meze as well as home style Greek food. I’ve only visited once but I plan on going again when I visit Thessaloniki. Have any of you visited.

The history behind the white tower of Thessaloniki

Did you know that the white tower of Thessaloniki (lefkos pyrgos) was not the original tower that was there in the first place? During the siege of Thessaloniki in 1185, the tower was destroyed and then rebuilt. The new tower (the one that we see today) was constructed by the Ottoman Empire by an architect who constructed a similar tower in Valona, Albania.

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter