1 - 4 of 4 Posts

blopez34

I don't want to get too controversial here and I know that this is super contested, but is it possible that an earthquake caused the fall of the Greek bronze age? How can such a powerful empire collapsed as a result of the environment? I mean just look at this architecture... Thoughts?

Ancient-Greece-720x479.jpg

k_tsoukalas

The Bronze Age collapse is a hot topic. First, historians don't agree as to when it collapsed. Second, people can't agree if it was a natural event, like the earthquake you speak of, that caused it or if it correlated with foreign invasion. Some historians adopt a "one or the other" mindset, others think it was a combination of factors. I've even seen that some speculate that there may have been a plague that contributed. Some researchers have traced the infamous bubonic plague as originating in the Greek Bronze Age.

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Don't underestimate the power of mother nature! I don't doubt that an earthquake played a role, but my guess is that it was a combination of a lot of things. Most of them environmental, there's a lot of speculation that there was also many droughts happening at the time. So all these compounding factors could've had a big impact on the civilization.

tomipark

All of these answers could be true. But I do think that such a strong civilization could only fall from an attack. There are many accounts of tribes “from the sea” or “sea people” that were attacking nearby regions at the time.

What are your favorite Greek history documentaries/films?

Hi guys! Film and history buff here. I especially love old foreign films, do any of you have some Greek favorites?

Since when did Greece have kingdoms?

I've had a lot of free time recently and I've been researching the history of modern Greece. I had absolutely no idea that Greece had monarchs and kingdoms. Does anyone have a little bit more info about what was going on at the time? And what caused this?

How historical are some of the traditional Greek dances?

I know a handful of common Greek traditional dances, such as the Syrtos (Kalamatianos), Zymbeiko, tsamikos, hasaposervikos, the "Never on a Sunday", the syrtaki, and a few others. Do any of these have roots in Ancient Greece?

What is the history of philotimo?

It's crazy to think that something I've come to value so much about modern Greek people is actually from the ancient Greeks. Does anyone know where, when or from whom the concept of philotimo emerged in Ancient Greece?

What is the difference between ancient Greek and ancient Roman architecture?

I've noticed so many similarities, but when it comes down to it: what are the differences between the two architecture styles?

SHARE THIS BELOW:

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter