1 - 9 of 9 Posts

acamp7

I have stumbled upon a very interesting article that proves Greeks may be the original inventors of pizza! At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, especially since our cultures are so close and im sure that hundreds of cultures have been eating different variations of bread, tomato and cheese. Let me know if you think that Greeks actually invented pizza!!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
While in Santorini we visited ancient city of Acrotiri and saw the proof that the Ancient Greeks invented pizza and crepes.

Reactions: blopez34
While in Santorini we visited ancient city of Acrotiri and saw the proof that the Ancient Greeks invented pizza and crepes.
What is the proof? Is there a museum? I would love to visit :)

Yes of course it is in the archeological museum of Santorini.

Reactions: seleanor
You could say that. You can find something very similar to pizza, a traditional "pita" made and eaten on the island of Kimolos in the Cyclades. It is called "ladenia" and is made of a pizza-like dough and topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil.

Reactions: nadellii
You could say that. You can find something very similar to pizza, a traditional "pita" made and eaten on the island of Kimolos in the Cyclades. It is called "ladenia" and is made of a pizza-like dough and topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil.
Is it still eaten today?

Is it still eaten today?
Yes it is! The bakeries on Kimolos and Milos make it and you can also find the recipe and make it yourself. Below a photo of mine.

Attachments

• ladenia.jpeg
    ladenia.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes it is! The bakeries on Kimolos and Milos make it and you can also find the recipe and make it yourself. Below a photo of mine.
Wow, this looks delicious. This truly does look like it could be a pizza precursor. So yummy! One day soon I will hopefully have a chance to try his for myself.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
Wow, this looks delicious. This truly does look like it could be a pizza precursor. So yummy! One day soon I will hopefully have a chance to try his for myself.
And you'll be coming back for more!

Learning about Greek Independence Day

March 25th marks a significant celebration in Greece, but I realize my knowledge on its historical context is quite limited.

From what I understand, this day commemorates the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821, where Greece sought to end several centuries of Ottoman rule. However, I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of this period, the key figures involved, and how the struggle for independence unfolded over time.

Additionally, I'd be interested in understanding how this day is celebrated across Greece today and whether any particular traditions are tied to it. For example, are there specific ceremonies, parades, or family traditions that uniquely mark this day in Greek culture?

Greek-flag.jpg

Documentary about Ancient Greece

I love to watch documentaries about Ancient Greece. I find a lot of content on YouTube but some of it was just created by users and I am not sure the credibility of the sources.

I watched this one recently and wanted to share - it is from the History Channel:

Earliest Civilizations of Greece

When I visit Greece, I love to learn about the history. I want to Greece for a bit this past summer and loved learning about the Minoans. Were they the earliest or was there a civilization before them?

Prior to this trip, I had thought the Minoans were contained to Crete, but I went to Santorini and Aegina, as well, and they also talked about the Minoan influence. Fascinating stuff. I want to learn about the Mycenaeans, too. Were they kind of at the same time as the Minoans?

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

History of the tradition of decorating boats for Christmas

One of the most interesting Greek Christmas traditions to me is the one where people decorate boats. So, I started to research the history. Here's a bit of what I discovered:

The roots of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas can be traced back to the country's longstanding ties with the sea. In Ancient Greece, people would often looked to the sea for both sustenance and inspiration, and it was not uncommon for ships to be adorned with religious symbols and decorations.

It also has ties to early Christianity in Greece. According to Greek Orthodox beliefs, Saint Nicolas (aka Santa Claus) was a sailor, and he is the patron saint of sailors. Decorating boats is often seen as a way to honor him.

Over time, this practice became associated with the Christmas season, and the boats began to be decorated specifically for the holiday.

People also make paper boats to decorate. Some call these the "yule boat" or karavaki. One of the most famous examples of this practice is the Yule boat, or karavaki.

The earliest known evidence of decorating boats for Christmas in Greece dates back to the 19th century. During this time, sailors would deck out their boats with lights and tiny boats. These tiny boats were often placed inside the larger boat, symbolizing protection from harm while at sea.

Does anyone have anything to add?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back