1 - 9 of 9 Posts

acamp7

I have stumbled upon a very interesting article that proves Greeks may be the original inventors of pizza! At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, especially since our cultures are so close and im sure that hundreds of cultures have been eating different variations of bread, tomato and cheese. Let me know if you think that Greeks actually invented pizza!!

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
While in Santorini we visited ancient city of Acrotiri and saw the proof that the Ancient Greeks invented pizza and crepes.

Reactions: blopez34
While in Santorini we visited ancient city of Acrotiri and saw the proof that the Ancient Greeks invented pizza and crepes.
What is the proof? Is there a museum? I would love to visit :)

Yes of course it is in the archeological museum of Santorini.

Reactions: seleanor
You could say that. You can find something very similar to pizza, a traditional "pita" made and eaten on the island of Kimolos in the Cyclades. It is called "ladenia" and is made of a pizza-like dough and topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil.

Reactions: nadellii
You could say that. You can find something very similar to pizza, a traditional "pita" made and eaten on the island of Kimolos in the Cyclades. It is called "ladenia" and is made of a pizza-like dough and topped with onions, tomatoes, and olive oil.
Is it still eaten today?

Is it still eaten today?
Yes it is! The bakeries on Kimolos and Milos make it and you can also find the recipe and make it yourself. Below a photo of mine.

Attachments

• ladenia.jpeg
    ladenia.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
Yes it is! The bakeries on Kimolos and Milos make it and you can also find the recipe and make it yourself. Below a photo of mine.
Wow, this looks delicious. This truly does look like it could be a pizza precursor. So yummy! One day soon I will hopefully have a chance to try his for myself.

Reactions: The Greek Vibe
Wow, this looks delicious. This truly does look like it could be a pizza precursor. So yummy! One day soon I will hopefully have a chance to try his for myself.
And you'll be coming back for more!

What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

I am fascinated by the Ancient Greeks. I have a feeling that some of our modern Greek recipes are similar to the ancient ones. Like spoon sweets. It think that seems like something that was developed a long time ago as a way to preserve the fruit harvest.

So, I have been researching this. What did the Ancient Greeks eat? I wanted to share this video because I thought it was interesting.

How did the Marshall Plan affect Greece?

I've recently taken an interest in the post-WWII recovery efforts and came across the Marshall Plan, which was introduced by the United States to aid European countries in rebuilding their economies. Given that Greece was significantly affected during the war, I'm curious about the specific impact the Marshall Plan had on Greece.

From what I've gathered, Greece, like many other European countries, faced tremendous economic challenges post-WWII, including infrastructure damage, inflation, and high unemployment rates. The Marshall Plan, formally known as the European Recovery Program, promised substantial financial aid to help rebuild war-torn nations, but I'm curious about how this plan was implemented in Greece specifically and what long-term effects it had on its economy and society.

I am so curious as to how, specifically, this plan affected Greece?

Learning about the Olympic Games

It's an Olympics year so I thought I would chat a bit about the Olympic Games!

The original Olympic Games, held in Olympia, Greece, were primarily a festival celebrating Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. These games began around 776 BC and featured a range of athletic competitions, from foot races to combat sports like wrestling and boxing. Interestingly, the games were so significant that wars were put on hold, and conflicts paused to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to Olympia. This ancient tradition of the Olympic Truce or "Ekecheiria" is a testament to the power of sport in fostering peace and unity, a principle that remains at the heart of the Olympics today.

I find it absolutely intriguing how these ancient games laid the groundwork for the modern Olympics, introducing concepts of sportsmanship, excellence, and the idea of bringing people together through the universal language of sport.

Has anyone visited ancient Olympia? Do you guys enjoy watching the Olympic Games?

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back