1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Vangelis

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

800px-Gandhara_Buddha_%28tnm%29.jpeg

Reactions: Hash and greggd12
Wow this is maybe one of the most surprising. things I have learned about Greece and Greek Culture!! We are so much more influenced of other cultures than we know, we should embrace it

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

Thank you

Sas Efgharisto polee for this, yasou apo mena from Thailand Vangelis,I have been searching for this information which I have read somewhere else in my books...and I have so many of them... especially about the beginnings of the statute and the fabulous artistic side of this!♥️

Below is an extract from your link that I just quickly read! Amazing reading!

Greek artists were most probably the authors of these early representations of the Buddha, in particular the standing statues, which display "a realistic treatment of the folds and on some even a hint of modelled volume that characterizes the best Greek work. This is Classical or Hellenistic Greek, not archaizing Greek transmitted by Persia or Bactria, nor distinctively Roman."[39]

The Greek stylistic influence on the representation of the Buddha, through its idealistic realism, also permitted a very accessible, understandable and attractive visualization of the ultimate state of enlightenment described by Buddhism, allowing it to reach a wider audience:

One of the distinguishing features of the Gandharan school of art that emerged in north-west India is that it has been clearly influenced by the naturalism of the Classical Greek style. Thus, while these images still convey the inner peace that results from putting the Buddha's doctrine into practice, they also give us an impression of people who walked and talked, etc. and slept much as we do. I feel this is very important. These figures are inspiring because they do not only depict the goal, but also the sense that people like us can achieve it if we try.
— 14th Dalai Lama[40]

Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf

Reactions: cubrinj and Hash
Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!
I registered to have a chat on Zoom with Dalai Lama a few weeks ago, totally forgot about it 😂😂.... and I vaguely remember time difference too!...I would love to ask him directly,he has a great sense of humour,I have watched many of his conversations with various people around the world... good fun!.... Kalley Mera....let us develop this part of cultural heritage and how intertwined our beings have been for centuries!.

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf
Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!

Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!
Very interesting links @Vangelis. The role of devils advocate is very western and it makes me think how westerners always want concrete answers to questions. Sometimes we just don't know, and that's okay. The universe is the universe and not everything is black and white

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

Learning about the Olympic Games

It's an Olympics year so I thought I would chat a bit about the Olympic Games!

The original Olympic Games, held in Olympia, Greece, were primarily a festival celebrating Zeus, the king of the Greek gods. These games began around 776 BC and featured a range of athletic competitions, from foot races to combat sports like wrestling and boxing. Interestingly, the games were so significant that wars were put on hold, and conflicts paused to allow athletes and spectators to travel safely to Olympia. This ancient tradition of the Olympic Truce or "Ekecheiria" is a testament to the power of sport in fostering peace and unity, a principle that remains at the heart of the Olympics today.

I find it absolutely intriguing how these ancient games laid the groundwork for the modern Olympics, introducing concepts of sportsmanship, excellence, and the idea of bringing people together through the universal language of sport.

Has anyone visited ancient Olympia? Do you guys enjoy watching the Olympic Games?

Earliest Civilizations of Greece

When I visit Greece, I love to learn about the history. I want to Greece for a bit this past summer and loved learning about the Minoans. Were they the earliest or was there a civilization before them?

Prior to this trip, I had thought the Minoans were contained to Crete, but I went to Santorini and Aegina, as well, and they also talked about the Minoan influence. Fascinating stuff. I want to learn about the Mycenaeans, too. Were they kind of at the same time as the Minoans?

Learning about Greek Independence Day

March 25th marks a significant celebration in Greece, but I realize my knowledge on its historical context is quite limited.

From what I understand, this day commemorates the start of the War of Greek Independence in 1821, where Greece sought to end several centuries of Ottoman rule. However, I'm eager to learn more about the intricacies of this period, the key figures involved, and how the struggle for independence unfolded over time.

Additionally, I'd be interested in understanding how this day is celebrated across Greece today and whether any particular traditions are tied to it. For example, are there specific ceremonies, parades, or family traditions that uniquely mark this day in Greek culture?

Greek-flag.jpg

Information About Alexander the Great

I have always been fascinated by Alexander the Great. I have this sense that depending on how you look at what he did, you could see it differently.

Sure, he conquered and spread hellenism. But what about the place he conquered? How did they feel? I am guessing not very favorable towards him.

If found this documentary on YouTube created by the history channel. I thought I'd watch it. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

History of the tradition of decorating boats for Christmas

One of the most interesting Greek Christmas traditions to me is the one where people decorate boats. So, I started to research the history. Here's a bit of what I discovered:

The roots of the tradition of decorating boats in Greece for Christmas can be traced back to the country's longstanding ties with the sea. In Ancient Greece, people would often looked to the sea for both sustenance and inspiration, and it was not uncommon for ships to be adorned with religious symbols and decorations.

It also has ties to early Christianity in Greece. According to Greek Orthodox beliefs, Saint Nicolas (aka Santa Claus) was a sailor, and he is the patron saint of sailors. Decorating boats is often seen as a way to honor him.

Over time, this practice became associated with the Christmas season, and the boats began to be decorated specifically for the holiday.

People also make paper boats to decorate. Some call these the "yule boat" or karavaki. One of the most famous examples of this practice is the Yule boat, or karavaki.

The earliest known evidence of decorating boats for Christmas in Greece dates back to the 19th century. During this time, sailors would deck out their boats with lights and tiny boats. These tiny boats were often placed inside the larger boat, symbolizing protection from harm while at sea.

Does anyone have anything to add?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back