1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Vangelis

A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

800px-Gandhara_Buddha_%28tnm%29.jpeg

Reactions: Hash and greggd12
Wow this is maybe one of the most surprising. things I have learned about Greece and Greek Culture!! We are so much more influenced of other cultures than we know, we should embrace it

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis
A period of Ancient Greek history that is not well known amongst the Greek community is the influence that the Greeks had on Buddhism especially through their art and also the influence that Buddhism and other ascetic systems in India had on Greek philosophy. You can read all about it in this article: Greco-Buddhism

Thank you

Sas Efgharisto polee for this, yasou apo mena from Thailand Vangelis,I have been searching for this information which I have read somewhere else in my books...and I have so many of them... especially about the beginnings of the statute and the fabulous artistic side of this!♥️

Below is an extract from your link that I just quickly read! Amazing reading!

Greek artists were most probably the authors of these early representations of the Buddha, in particular the standing statues, which display "a realistic treatment of the folds and on some even a hint of modelled volume that characterizes the best Greek work. This is Classical or Hellenistic Greek, not archaizing Greek transmitted by Persia or Bactria, nor distinctively Roman."[39]

The Greek stylistic influence on the representation of the Buddha, through its idealistic realism, also permitted a very accessible, understandable and attractive visualization of the ultimate state of enlightenment described by Buddhism, allowing it to reach a wider audience:

One of the distinguishing features of the Gandharan school of art that emerged in north-west India is that it has been clearly influenced by the naturalism of the Classical Greek style. Thus, while these images still convey the inner peace that results from putting the Buddha's doctrine into practice, they also give us an impression of people who walked and talked, etc. and slept much as we do. I feel this is very important. These figures are inspiring because they do not only depict the goal, but also the sense that people like us can achieve it if we try.
— 14th Dalai Lama[40]

Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf

Reactions: cubrinj and Hash
Thank you for sharing this. It is fascinating how the Ancient Greeks influenced all kinds of cultures. I had no idea there was such a thing as Greco-Buddhism and I am surprised I haven't bumped into it before.

Hash, I agree. The quote by the Dalai Lama is incredibly fascinating!
I registered to have a chat on Zoom with Dalai Lama a few weeks ago, totally forgot about it 😂😂.... and I vaguely remember time difference too!...I would love to ask him directly,he has a great sense of humour,I have watched many of his conversations with various people around the world... good fun!.... Kalley Mera....let us develop this part of cultural heritage and how intertwined our beings have been for centuries!.

@Hash Since you live in the country of Theravadin Buddhism, the oldest extant form of Buddhism in the world today, you might be aware of the Milinda Pañha which is the debate between King Menander and the ascetic Buddhist monk, Nāgasena. Even though this was written much later, it is usually included as part of the Theravadin Buddhist canon. If you are interested, you can read excerpts of the english translation here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/miln/miln.intro.kell.html or alternatively, you can download an abridged pdf translation here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/milinda.pdf
Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!

Thank you so much Vangelis, have downloaded for later on....I have that website too!... Let us develop this subject and see where it takes us!... Kalley Mera su!
Very interesting links @Vangelis. The role of devils advocate is very western and it makes me think how westerners always want concrete answers to questions. Sometimes we just don't know, and that's okay. The universe is the universe and not everything is black and white

Reactions: Hash and Vangelis

Studying the Trojan War - Was it Real?

Did the Trojan War really happen? I am doing a bit of research and wanted to know what you guys thought:

The war is believed to have happened around 1200 BCE, and while there is no concrete evidence to support its occurrence, it is widely accepted as factual.

What is confusing me is how prevalent it is in Greek Mythology. In addition to the gods' involvement in the conflict, various stories and legends were added over time to give the tale more depth and drama. For example, the character of Achilles was said to be invulnerable except for his heel, which led to the phrase "Achilles heel" being used to describe a person's one weakness.

While some scholars once dismissed the Trojan War as pure myth, modern archaeological evidence has suggested that it may have been a real event. Excavations at the ancient site of Troy have revealed evidence of a long period of conflict and destruction, and historians have found similarities between the tale as it is told in ancient texts and what is known about the region's history at the time. While many details of the Trojan War are still shrouded in mystery, it seems increasingly likely that it was not just a legend but a real event that has been passed down through the ages.

Interesting Greek History Topics I Like

The Persian Wars: The wars fought between Greece and the Persian empire in the 5th century BC were some of the most consequential conflicts of ancient times. Learn about the key events, such as the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and the strategies that allowed the Greeks to repel the Persian invaders.

The Rise of Athens: Arguably the most influential city-state in ancient Greece, Athens was the birthplace of democracy, philosophy, and the arts. Follow the rise of Athens from a humble village to a powerhouse of trade and culture.

The Peloponnesian War: The decades-long conflict between Athens and Sparta was a turning point in Greek history, leading to the decline of Athens and the rise of Macedon under Philip II and his son Alexander.

The Life of Alexander the Great: The young conqueror who led his armies across the known world, Alexander the Great is one of the most famous and admired figures of ancient history. Learn about his upbringing, his conquests, and his legacy.

The Olympic Games: A tradition that continues to this day, the ancient Olympics were a celebration of sports, culture, and political power. Explore the origins of the games and the events that took place.

What did the Ancient Greeks eat?

I am fascinated by the Ancient Greeks. I have a feeling that some of our modern Greek recipes are similar to the ancient ones. Like spoon sweets. It think that seems like something that was developed a long time ago as a way to preserve the fruit harvest.

So, I have been researching this. What did the Ancient Greeks eat? I wanted to share this video because I thought it was interesting.

Athens and the creation of democracy

I've been thinking about Athens and how it's the birth of democracy. I wondered if other societies had experimented with the concepts or if Athens was unique? Does anyone know? I know that there's been some evidence that other societies experimented with community leadership, but none had a true democracy like what Athens developed.

It was unique in developing a system where a significant portion of its inhabitants could participate directly in decision-making processes. This early form of democracy was largely initiated under the leadership of Cleisthenes in 508/507 BC. His reforms reorganized the population into ten tribes based on their residence rather than lineage, promoting a broader and more inclusive political engagement.

In this Athenian democracy, citizens had the right to attend the Assembly (Ekklesia), where they could speak and vote on legislation and executive decisions. The Council of Five Hundred (Boule), selected by lot for each of the ten tribes, proposed legislation and handled daily affairs. This lottery system for public office sought to prevent power monopolies and encourage civic participation.

I know that this work truly influenced other democratic governments through the world!

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts- I find this stuff interesting.

Story of the Birth of Democracy

I just watched a nice documentary about the birth of democracy in Athens. This is so fascinating! I didn't realize the nuances, only the basics about how it began in Athens. This documentary goes into a lot more detail.

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back