1 - 3 of 3 Posts

mastichas09

Thanksgiving is coming up and will be here before we know it. I think about this every year at Thanksgiving. How have the American traditions and Greek culture merged at American Thanksgiving?

For us, it has been about serving our favorite foods and sharing it with loved ones. This means, an interesting stuffing with rice and chestnuts, spanakopita, kolokithopita, and milopita.

What has has this meant for your own Thanksgiving spreads?

Thanksgiving, unlike other American holidays, is one that is more translatable for other cultures.
Thanksgiving menu usually includes traditional items — turkey , stuffing, and not forget pecan pie — but also a spin is put on the meal with more cultural traditional dishes.
In our case Greeks bring to the table spanakopita tiropita, kolokithopita, but I’ve all so seen dolmadakia, patates fournou, tzatziki. Galaktompouriko baklava, karithopita for dessert.

Yes, Pemi. We do something similar! We tend to serve Greek desserts and appetizers but will do the turkey and all that as usual.

Adding Hot Pepper to Tiropita?

I'm planning to make Greek tiropita (cheese pie) for a family gathering, and I was thinking of adding a twist by incorporating jalapeño peppers. Has anyone tried this before? I'm curious about how well the spiciness of the jalapeños would complement the creamy cheese filling and the flaky phyllo dough. Would the flavors blend well, or would it be too overpowering? Also, should I use fresh jalapeños, or would pickled ones be better for this recipe?

If you have any tips on how to incorporate them effectively, such as how to prepare the jalapeños or how much to use, I'd really appreciate your advice. I'm aiming for a balance where the heat adds an interesting kick without overwhelming the traditional taste of the tiropita.

Greek Watermelon Salad Recipe for Summer

I wanted to share a simple watermelon salad recipe that's perfect for summer! I've had this in Greece! I use mint that my family brought over from Greece a few generations ago!

Ingredients:

• 4 cups of watermelon, cubed
  • 1 cup of cucumber, sliced
  • 1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup of red onion, thinly sliced
  • A handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon cubes, cucumber slices, red onion, and chopped mint.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
  3. Add the crumbled feta cheese on top.
  4. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to let the flavors meld. I don't like to use dressing, preferring its natural juices to season it.

Typical Greek Breakfast Foods?

I'm curious to learn more about Greek cuisine, specifically breakfast foods. What are some typical breakfast items that people in Greece enjoy? I've heard a bit about yogurt and honey, but I'd love to know more about other traditional options.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences or insights?

Looking forward to reading your responses and learning more. I am a Greek Canadian and I noticed while in Greece that they don't make a big deal of breakfast. Is it just a small meal eaten fast? I tend to eat bigger breakfasts.

Using Halloumi Cheese in Greek Cuisine

I've recently discovered halloumi cheese, and I'm excited to incorporate it into my meals. I've heard that it features prominently in Greek cooking, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Could anyone here share some tips or recipes for using halloumi cheese in traditional Greek dishes?

I've tried grilling it and adding it to salads, which has been delicious! But I would love to know more authentic ways to use this fantastic cheese. Any advice on cooking techniques, flavor pairings, or specific Greek recipes would be greatly appreciated.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back