1 - 11 of 11 Posts

efhernandez_

Loukanika are so amazing! Greeks really know how to make some of the most juicy and flavourful meat. If anyone has any good restaurants in the Austin, Texas area that they could recommend for some great Greek food and loukanika I would really appreciate it :)
Loukanika-Greek-Sausage-720x480.jpg

Loukanika are so amazing! Greeks really know how to make some of the most juicy and flavourful meat. If anyone has any good restaurants in the Austin, Texas area that they could recommend for some great Greek food and loukanika I would really appreciate it :)
View attachment 850
Everyone loves a bit of Greek loukaniko

You can also find recipes online on how to make your own! My family used to do this. I love the way everyone has their own recipe. For me, it is the orange peel that really makes it special.

Reactions: nadellii
You can also find recipes online on how to make your own! My family used to do this. I love the way everyone has their own recipe. For me, it is the orange peel that really makes it special.
Ive never tried it with orange! I usually use rosemary and thyme

Reactions: lalajess
Ive never tried it with orange! I usually use rosemary and thyme
Some of my family I suspect might have roots on Crete, though that information got lost. From what I understand, there are a ton of orange trees on the island, so many of our family dishes involve oranges. I've actually never had it with rosemary for some reason!

Reactions: acamp7
Some of my family I suspect might have roots on Crete, though that information got lost. From what I understand, there are a ton of orange trees on the island, so many of our family dishes involve oranges. I've actually never had it with rosemary for some reason!
So sad that so much information like that is lost in Greece. My relative said that a lot of documents got lost because of Turkish occupation. I wonder if that's what happened in your case

Reactions: lalajess
So sad that so much information like that is lost in Greece. My relative said that a lot of documents got lost because of Turkish occupation. I wonder if that's what happened in your case
It's possible! I heard the same thing. Many of the records were lost or destroyed. Some burned. Also in the later generations, no one thought to ask the surviving relatives, and now they're gone!

Reactions: mj_toronto8
It's possible! I heard the same thing. Many of the records were lost or destroyed. Some burned. Also in the later generations, no one thought to ask the surviving relatives, and now they're gone!
So sad, I have researched and seem some super old interviews of elderly Greek people describing their experiences in Asia Minor. Im glad few have gone out to document Greek history

So sad, I have researched and seem some super old interviews of elderly Greek people describing their experiences in Asia Minor. Im glad few have gone out to document Greek history
Same here - I know some families who have roots in Asia Minor and had to move abruptly. Only one of these families thought to film a survivor before she passed talking about what she remembered, and what she remembered her mother talking about.

I love the recipe that involves spicing it with orange peels, but I have also had versions that have a dominant fennel or anise flavor, and those are great, as well. I don't always like "heat" in Greek cooking, but my favorite of the Greek sausages are always on the spicier side.

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

Making traditional loukaniko question

I’m on a culinary quest to master the art of making Loukaniko, the traditional Greek sausage that tantalizes taste buds with its savory blend of spices and herbs. I understand that each region and even each family might have their own special recipe passed down through generations.

Which leads me to my ask - could anyone who’s familiar with Greek cuisine share insights about the most common seasonings used in Loukaniko? I'm especially interested in any mix of spices that gives it that characteristic flavor profile.

I’ve done some preliminary research, but I’m looking for that firsthand knowledge. What's the blend that makes your Loukaniko stand out? Are there any particular secrets to perfect the authentic taste?

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back