1 - 10 of 10 Posts

efhernandez_

When taking taxis in Greece, be sure to stay safe and be very aware. In some instances, taxi drivers will try and charge you a bit more from your trip, especially if they realize that you're a tourist and don't know where youre going. One of the most important things is to ask your taxi driver to turn their meter on and use the gps as navigation. Make sure the correct address is inputed and check that the meter is on. After that, you should be all set. :) Safe travels

When taking taxis in Greece, be sure to stay safe and be very aware. In some instances, taxi drivers will try and charge you a bit more from your trip, especially if they realize that you're a tourist and don't know where youre going. One of the most important things is to ask your taxi driver to turn their meter on and use the gps as navigation. Make sure the correct address is inputed and check that the meter is on. After that, you should be all set. :) Safe travels
Another thing that I do, ask at the hotel how far and how much should be charged. The Front Desk has always been helpful to me and I've never had a problem. I also tell the driver I won't pay more than the Front Desk quoted me, and I tip generously and being friendly helps...a smile goes a long way!

Reactions: toniiv
Excellent advice above. I haven’t had a problem in the city itself, but when you arrive in the Port of Piraeus, taxis that stop along the street will definitely inflate the price back to Central Athens. If the hotel has told you the fare, then just negotiate with the driver. When they realize that you “know the scoop”, they’ll back down. Some fares (ie. Airport - Central Athens) are regulated, so do your homework ahead of time on the current fare. Also - Have an idea of where you’re going. (ie. Port gate number) Some drivers are foreign-born so you can’t always assume that they know exactly where they’re going - especially if it’s a sprawling place like Piraeus. We use taxis exclusively in Athens and have had little to no problems in over 40 years! In fact, we have often met the most incredible people who are welcoming, kind, and eager to share some great stories and conversation.

Again, criticism of Hellas, so what if the taxi driver makes a couple of dollars more, in America you even need to tip the bus driver isn't that a way of inflated travel?

Criticism of Hellas? - hardly. Any major city will have a few people who try to take advantage of people perceived as unknowledgeable. The Piraeus example I used was for a driver who was asking for €30 on a €15 fare. In any city, that’s a bit much. Btw, in America we do not tip bus drivers for transportation. Customarily, only tour bus drivers receive a tip, exactly as is done in the E.U.

Reactions: Vangelis and toniiv
100% - Another tip is sometimes I'll need a taxi for a longer excursion, as I don't always rent a car in Greece. I've even hired a driver for the day to take me around. They're so knowledgeable and can even act as a guide! One driver took me and my family to his favorite taverna where we had excellent food and parea. When I need a taxi for a longer excursion, or want to hire for the day, I negotiate the rate I will pay before I even get in the car. They've always honored the agreement.

So it sounds like the Greek taxi drivers are really good guys and like any business person may charge you a bit more

So it sounds like the Greek taxi drivers are really good guys and like any business person may charge you a bit more
Ive never had a bad experience with taxi drivers in Greece but just with travelling to any country, you should be careful

Ive never had a bad experience with taxi drivers in Greece but just with travelling to any country, you should be careful
Exactly

Reactions: seleanor

Taking a culinary tour of Greece

I would like to take a tour or create my own itinerary to do nothing but visit Greece to eat all the food. I want to go to some unique and memorable destinations. For many reasons, both Ikaria and Crete are on my list. I will have maybe two weeks in Greece so I truly don't have the itinerary fleshes out. Or if anyone can recommend a tour company, that would be good too.

Some questions:

Best Time to Visit: What's the ideal time of year for such a tour, considering weather, food seasons, and avoiding peak tourist crowds?
Must-Visit Places: Besides the obvious choices like Athens and Santorini, are there any off-the-beaten-path locations that are a foodie's dream?
Local Experiences: Are there particular cooking classes, food markets, or local farms that offer a deeper dive into Greek cuisine and its preparation?
Travel Tips: Any logistical tips for traveling within Greece that might make moving from one culinary destination to another smoother?

Thanks in advance!

Best places in Greece to see the Venetian influences?

I am interested in the Venetian influences that are interwoven into certain parts of the country. From the architecture to the local customs, I understand that the reach of the Venetian Republic left a notable mark that can still be felt today.

I'm in the midst of planning an itinerary focused on exploring these influences and I’d love to hear from you about the must-visit spots where one can best experience the essence of the Venetian presence in Greece.

Do any of you have recommendations for specific towns, buildings, ruins, or even local festivities that embody this cultural blend? Any hidden gems or lesser-known locations that surprised you with their Venetian charm?

Of course, I expect Crete, with its famed Venetian fortresses and the romantic old town of Chania, to be part of this list. But I'm certain there is a wealth of places, perhaps on other islands or on the mainland, which equally showcase this unique period of history. I also know there are influences in Corfu. Is there anywhere else?

Finding Good Food Tours of Greece?

I love Greek cuisine. I cook it all the time and I love trying new recipes. The time has come for me to think about planning a food tour! Does anyone have any advice?

I would love to hear from members of this forum about their experiences with food tours in Greece.
  1. Which regions or cities offer the best food tours?
  2. Any specific food tour companies or guides that you would recommend?
  3. What were some of the standout dishes or culinary experiences on your tour?
  4. Are there options for people with dietary restrictions, such as vegetarians?
  5. What should one expect in terms of cost and duration?
Any tips or advice on how to get the most out of such a tour would be greatly appreciated too! Thanks!

Is Marathon a good day trip from Athens?

I've been planning an itinerary for my upcoming trip to Athens, and I've always been fascinated by the historical significance of Marathon. Considering its role in ancient history and the famous battle that took place there, it seems like a place that might be worth a visit.

However, I'm on the fence about dedicating a whole day trip to Marathon. From what I understand, it isn’t too far from Athens, but I'm trying to weigh up whether the experience is worthy compared to spending that time exploring more within the city itself.

Has anyone made the day trip to Marathon from Athens? Was it an enriching experience, and what are the can't-miss sights? Is the archeological site/museum there engaging enough for a history buff? Also, how about the logistics – is it easy to get to by public transport, or would you suggest renting a car or going with a tour?

I am just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if I should plan to stay overnight. Thanks!

marathon-greece.jpg

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back