1 - 10 of 10 Posts

efhernandez_

When taking taxis in Greece, be sure to stay safe and be very aware. In some instances, taxi drivers will try and charge you a bit more from your trip, especially if they realize that you're a tourist and don't know where youre going. One of the most important things is to ask your taxi driver to turn their meter on and use the gps as navigation. Make sure the correct address is inputed and check that the meter is on. After that, you should be all set. :) Safe travels

When taking taxis in Greece, be sure to stay safe and be very aware. In some instances, taxi drivers will try and charge you a bit more from your trip, especially if they realize that you're a tourist and don't know where youre going. One of the most important things is to ask your taxi driver to turn their meter on and use the gps as navigation. Make sure the correct address is inputed and check that the meter is on. After that, you should be all set. :) Safe travels
Another thing that I do, ask at the hotel how far and how much should be charged. The Front Desk has always been helpful to me and I've never had a problem. I also tell the driver I won't pay more than the Front Desk quoted me, and I tip generously and being friendly helps...a smile goes a long way!

Reactions: toniiv
Excellent advice above. I haven’t had a problem in the city itself, but when you arrive in the Port of Piraeus, taxis that stop along the street will definitely inflate the price back to Central Athens. If the hotel has told you the fare, then just negotiate with the driver. When they realize that you “know the scoop”, they’ll back down. Some fares (ie. Airport - Central Athens) are regulated, so do your homework ahead of time on the current fare. Also - Have an idea of where you’re going. (ie. Port gate number) Some drivers are foreign-born so you can’t always assume that they know exactly where they’re going - especially if it’s a sprawling place like Piraeus. We use taxis exclusively in Athens and have had little to no problems in over 40 years! In fact, we have often met the most incredible people who are welcoming, kind, and eager to share some great stories and conversation.

Again, criticism of Hellas, so what if the taxi driver makes a couple of dollars more, in America you even need to tip the bus driver isn't that a way of inflated travel?

Criticism of Hellas? - hardly. Any major city will have a few people who try to take advantage of people perceived as unknowledgeable. The Piraeus example I used was for a driver who was asking for €30 on a €15 fare. In any city, that’s a bit much. Btw, in America we do not tip bus drivers for transportation. Customarily, only tour bus drivers receive a tip, exactly as is done in the E.U.

Reactions: Vangelis and toniiv
100% - Another tip is sometimes I'll need a taxi for a longer excursion, as I don't always rent a car in Greece. I've even hired a driver for the day to take me around. They're so knowledgeable and can even act as a guide! One driver took me and my family to his favorite taverna where we had excellent food and parea. When I need a taxi for a longer excursion, or want to hire for the day, I negotiate the rate I will pay before I even get in the car. They've always honored the agreement.

So it sounds like the Greek taxi drivers are really good guys and like any business person may charge you a bit more

So it sounds like the Greek taxi drivers are really good guys and like any business person may charge you a bit more
Ive never had a bad experience with taxi drivers in Greece but just with travelling to any country, you should be careful

Ive never had a bad experience with taxi drivers in Greece but just with travelling to any country, you should be careful
Exactly

Reactions: seleanor

Travel Tips for Naxos

I'm planning a trip to the island of Naxos soon and I'm reaching out for some guidance and tips.

First off, I've heard that Naxos is a haven for foodies – any recommendations on local foods I absolutely must try or the best places to eat?

Exploring the cultural heritage of Naxos is also high on my agenda. I understand there are plenty of historical sites and ruins that abound. For those of you who've wandered the island's ancient paths, which historical spots would you say I need to see??

Also, I’d love to hear about your favorite beaches. Are there any hidden gems I should know about? Places that aren’t too crowded perhaps?

Thanks!

When does tourist season end in Greece?

I am planning my next Greek trip.

I want to go in October but the people I am traveling with - we won't be able to to go until mid-October.

I have been to Crete that late in the year and to Athens, but not anywhere else. On our schedule is to visit some of the smaller islands, like Hydra.

Do places like that shut down? My main concern is, will the tourist shops be closed? I love to browse through them and it's part of my enjoyment.

Question about scuba diving in Greece

I'm currently planning a trip to Greece, a destination that has long been on my bucket list, not just for its history and cuisine, but especially for the scuba diving experiences it offers. I've heard that Greece boasts some incredible underwater landscapes, from vibrant marine life to fascinating wrecks.

Given the vastness of Greece's coastline, I thought I would try to see the country in a different way.

Let's say I want to go scuba diving in a particular island. How do I go about doing it?

Canyoning Bled Slovenia

Hi guys!!
I'm planning to take a group canyoning Bled but apparently, it is obligatory to use a local guide. I am a canyon instructor (caf and ffme), is this enough to supervise without anyone else? I have several years of experience (climbing and canyoning) and it is obvious that I will not be able to offer this destination if it is not possible.
Thanks in advance

Pack List for Trip to Greece in Spring

I have a trip to Greece planned in the spring. Mainly, I want advice on the weather. In the meantime, I made my best guess and came up with a list. Anything to add or subtract?

Clothing
  • A light rain jacket or windbreaker: For the inevitable April showers
  • A couple of long-sleeve shirts: For those cooler mornings
  • A lightweight sweater: For layering when temperature changes
  • A pair of comfortable pants: Think breathable fabrics like cotton, and a pair of jeans.
  • Shorts and a sundress: For warmer afternoons
  • Comfortable walking shoes: You’ll be exploring villages and ancient ruins, so cushioned soles are a must.
Accessories
  • A versatile scarf: Can double as a shawl on cooler evenings
  • A wide-brimmed hat: For sun protection
  • Sunglasses and sunscreen: Essential for beach days
  • Reusable water bottle: To stay hydrated without contributing more waste
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back