1 - 2 of 2 Posts

redsoxdw_

If you want to shed a few pounds, Greek food is an excellent option! The Medittarean diet has been proven to be one of the healthiest diets in the world. The diet focuses on limiting meat consumption and eating healthy vegetables and grains cooked in high quality olive oil. To make healthy Greek bowls, you need to start with a healthy grain such as brown rice or quinoa. To that, you can add grilled chicken breast that is marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil. For greens, you can add spinach or mixed greens and then for toppings feta cheese, Kalamata olives, red onions and lemon-olive oil vinaigrette. Enjoy!

Reactions: Vangelis
This looks so good! The Mediterranean/ Greek diet is so healthy. It's easy to make healthy food taste great when eating this way.

How to learn about different regional cuisines in Greece?

I have learned so much about Greek cuisine by being on this forum! I know that there are standard recipes that everyone seems to cook.

For example, you can get souvlaki all over. Everyone seems to serve a village salad with slight variations. Most regions seem to make moussaka. There are tons of others.

I have also noticed that each region has their own specialties. How do you go about learning about them?

greek-salad.jpg

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

How to make Koulouri - sesame bread rings?

When I went to Greece, one of my favorite snacks were the koulouri - or sesame bread rings.

I'm on a quest to recreate the delectable Greek Koulouri at home – those delightful sesame-crusted bread rings that are a staple street food in Greece. They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack any time of day, and I absolutely love their chewy texture and the rich taste that comes from being encrusted with toasted sesame seeds.

Is it a simple matter of taking any bread recipe and forming it into rings, and then putting sesame seeds on the rings? Or is it a bit more to it than that?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back