1 - 9 of 9 Posts

greek_ggirl

I'm wondering if I should book a guided tour to really get to know the city well and learn about all of the history and culture. Is it worth it? And would you recommend a private tour guide or going in a group? I really want to learn more about the places that I'm visiting and not just walking around aimlessly

Reactions: tomipark
Honestly I would say no. I suggest you do your research beforehand and come up with a short list of things you want to do and see. I find tourists get in the way of being spontaneous

Ugh I'm not really a fan of guided tours! In my experience they get a bit boring

Thessaloiniki has a hop on, hop off bus. These are great because you can see all the sites at your own pace. There is some narration as you're driving, but then you get off and visit the site at your leisure. While there you can snap a picture, take a tour, walk around, etc. When you're done, you just wait for the next hop on hop off bus and then stop at the next site that you're interested in.

I think it depends on what you like. Sometimes a tour is a great way to give yourself an overview of a new place. Once you get the tourist stuff out of the way, you can really get in there and see the culture and enjoy the people and natural beauty. When I first visited Thessaloniki, I did a tour, and I don't regret it.

Reactions: auroracoor1
I think it depends on what you like. Sometimes a tour is a great way to give yourself an overview of a new place. Once you get the tourist stuff out of the way, you can really get in there and see the culture and enjoy the people and natural beauty. When I first visited Thessaloniki, I did a tour, and I don't regret it.
I also did a tour when I first visited! I think if you do a short one in the early morning when it's not too hot it can give you a good sense of what to do in the city

I also did a tour when I first visited! I think if you do a short one in the early morning when it's not too hot it can give you a good sense of what to do in the city
That's exactly why I sometimes take a tour - when I need to get my bearings and get to know the city. I zero in on the sites that I like and see them in more detail, or I walk away content knowing that I got a nice overview during my short time in a place.

Reactions: kcixcy
That's exactly why I sometimes take a tour - when I need to get my bearings and get to know the city. I zero in on the sites that I like and see them in more detail, or I walk away content knowing that I got a nice overview during my short time in a place.
Do you have any recommendations on where to go to in Thessaloniki?

Do you have any recommendations on where to go to in Thessaloniki?
I really enjoyed walking around Aristotle Square. There are cafes and shops and stuff here, plus it's just a pretty place. I love history, so experiencing the likes of the White Tower wasn't enough for me. I needed a tour to give me an overview of the history of the city and some of the sites. Another place I really liked was the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki because it gave a nice historical overview. Plus, there are some great beaches. Agia Triada Beach is nearby and you can take a taxi - that beach was a highlight for me.

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Some tips for traveling to Thessaloniki - anything to add?

I thought I'd make a list of some things to do in Thessaloniki - I tried to find things that are interesting and fun. Anything to add?

1. Take a guided tour of the Royal Tombs of Aigai (Vergina) to learn about ancient Macedonian history.
  2. Visit the Archaeological Museum of Pella to see artifacts from the ancient city of Pella, birthplace of Alexander the Great.
  3. Explore the ruins of Dion, an ancient Macedonian sanctuary at the foot of Mount Olympus.
  4. Explore the Archaeological Site of Vergina, a UNESCO World Heritage site with ancient Macedonian tombs and ruins.
  5. Discover modern art at the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art.
  6. Visit the archaeological site of Dion to see ancient ruins and artifacts from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
  7. Explore the traditional village of Arnea for its charming architecture, cobblestone streets, and local crafts.
  8. Take a guided tour of the archaeological site of Philippi, a UNESCO World Heritage site with ruins dating back to ancient Greece and Rome.
  9. Explore the traditional village of Palaios Panteleimonas for its stone houses, narrow streets, and stunning views of Mount Olympus.
  10. Visit the Monastery of Panagia Soumela, a Greek Orthodox monastery located on the slopes of Mount Vermio.

Heard there was a Christmas market in Thessaloniki?

I want to do something festive this year in Greece. I am going to be in Thessaloniki for a short time and I heard that there is actually a Christmas market? Is it any good?

Do any of you have any details?

I heard the market is in Aristotelous Square, but that's all I know about it. I am assuming there will be vendors and things to buy - maybe I can do some Christmas shopping here?
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back