1 - 11 of 11 Posts

dubai_suzie

Have any women traveled around the island alone? Im a bit cautious traveling these days without my husband, any advice?

I have not heard anything specific about if Mykonos Greece is any less safe than any other major travel destination in Europe.

After a bit of research, here are a few other sources that might help:

I hope you have a safe and great time in Mykonos!

Have any women traveled around the island alone? Im a bit cautious traveling these days without my husband, any advice?
Have you been to Mykonos with your husband or friends before?I used to live there! I have met any solo lady travelers in my years there, writers,poets, artists, musicians,

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Have you been to Mykonos with your husband or friends before?I used to live there! I have met any solo lady travelers in my years there, writers,poets, artists, musicians,
I have also seen many women traveling alone, I have not spoken to them though. But I think that it's a good sign

I have seen women traveling along all over Greece. Just be careful of pickpockets but other than that, Greeks are very hospitable and they may even go out of the way to look after a solo traveler.

Reactions: Hash
I have seen women traveling along all over Greece. Just be careful of pickpockets but other than that, Greeks are very hospitable and they may even go out of the way to look after a solo traveler.
A very strange question.....In my life having lived there many years working in Tourism industry I have yet to find any negative comments about this.This summer just gone there was a female "Solo traveler" who asked the similar question on TripAdvisor (she had 2 previous forum posts to her name!!!!!)..... None of us bothered to respond such questions....My answer would be "Don't go"!!..... Kalley Mera!

Last edited:
It seems to me that Mykonos is very safe, but I imagine it's just like anywhere else that we need to keep our eyes open!

Reactions: seleanor
It seems to me that Mykonos is very safe, but I imagine it's just like anywhere else that we need to keep our eyes open!
Yes, always stay aware of your surroundings!

Yes, always stay aware of your surroundings!
Yup people who are observant and keep their eyes open are better off and can more easily stay safe. Most people who want to do something, like pick pocket, look for the clueless ones who aren't paying attention to their wallets, purses, or environments...

Reactions: seleanor
Yup people who are observant and keep their eyes open are better off and can more easily stay safe. Most people who want to do something, like pick pocket, look for the clueless ones who aren't paying attention to their wallets, purses, or environments...
This is true, there is not a lot of violence in Greece that you can get in the way of like in other countries. There aren't a lot go guns either

This is true, there is not a lot of violence in Greece that you can get in the way of like in other countries. There aren't a lot go guns either
Most people are poor and looking for money, not to harm you, at least from what I've heard

Things to Do in Mykonos at Christmas

I am thinking of heading to Mykonos this Christmas season to visit some people. I thought I would share some thoughts about what I can do there this time of year.

Christmas Markets

Like many other places in Europe, Mykonos also has its own version of Christmas markets. Wander around the charming alleys of the old town and discover festive stalls selling handmade crafts, traditional sweets, and local delicacies. The main market takes place in Manto Square, where you can also experience the lighting of the Christmas tree and carol singing.

Traditional Celebration

Christmas celebrations in Mykonos follow the Greek Orthodox calendar, which means that the main festivities are held on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. You can attend the midnight Mass at one of the island's many churches, such as the Paraportiani Church, or witness the local traditions of kalanda (carol singing) and feasting on traditional dishes like avgolemono soup and roasted lamb.

Christmas Shopping

There are some great shops on Mykonos. I can do my Christmas shopping here!

Learning Greek While in Mykonos?

I've recently embarked on the exciting journey of learning Greek, motivated further by an upcoming trip to the beautiful island of Mykonos. Given the rich culture, stunning landscapes, and the warm hospitality native to this region, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to immerse myself in the language amid its native speakers.

However, as someone relatively new to this endeavor, I'm eagerly seeking advice on the best strategies for learning Greek while exploring Mykonos. Whether it be recommendations for local language schools that cater specifically to visitors, tips on integrating learning into daily activities, or suggestions for social settings that are particularly friendly to language learners, I'm all ears.

Additionally, I'm interested in any local groups or exchange programs that promote cultural immersion and language practice. I believe that interacting with the locals and engaging directly with the culture can significantly enhance the language learning experience.

Lastly, if there are specific apps or resources that you found helpful while learning Greek in a similar context, please don't hesitate to share. I'm open to exploring all options that might assist in making my learning experience as enriching and effective as possible.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and stories about your own language learning journeys in Greece. Thank you in advance for your insights and advice!

What are your opinions about the party scene in Mykonos?

I am traveling to Greece this July with a large group of friends and family and we all have different interests.

Some of the people have never been to Mykonos and are pushing for a longer stay because they want to party.

I did all that when I was younger, and it wasn't the greatest. I loved nightclubs back then, too.

What have been your experiences? I found it to be too hot to party hard. I love to dance, and I couldn't really dance much. The beaches made me feel claustrophobic because there was nowhere to really walk and get away from the loud music!

How do you find the "good" parties on Mykonos?

I went to only one of the beach clubs on Mykonos and it wasn't really my vibe. Yet, I constantly see people partying in Mykonos and it looks fun and they're having a blast. How do these people find those parties?

My questions:

• Are many of these parties private events?
  • Are there clubs away from the beaches that are known for their nightlife and DJs?
  • Are there different DJs that go to Mykonos? Maybe I can find out about the parties by tracking the DJs?
Another possibility is maybe the party scene really isn't my thing. I appreciate all your thoughts!

Nightlife question about Mykonos

I have seen footage of fun-looking club atmospheres on Mykonos. I went last year and couldn't find those parties! I want to try again the next time I am in Greece, probably in September.

I’d love to find places that strike a balance between great music (preferably a mix of international and local beats), a lively but not overly crowded atmosphere, and of course, stunning settings that scream ‘Mykonos’!

Does anyone have personal favorites or hidden gems they'd be willing to share?

mykonos-nightlife.jpg
Share and discuss your Mykonos photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back