1 - 7 of 7 Posts

voula_slat

I am trying to recreate some family recipes and now I am working on pastitsio. My family used to make it with this large macaroni noodles. I finally tracked them down at a Greek store so that's all set. I have the flavors just about right in the pastitsio. I can't seem to get the top crema right. Sometimes it's too thin. Sometimes it won't get fluffy. Sometimes it's kind of gooey. I had one batch that was lump (I figured out why this was happening though, I wasn't stirring it enough and the heat was too high).

How do you guys make this part? My test pastitsio has been in 9 x 13 pans so you can get an idea for proportions.

I am trying to recreate some family recipes and now I am working on pastitsio. My family used to make it with this large macaroni noodles. I finally tracked them down at a Greek store so that's all set. I have the flavors just about right in the pastitsio. I can't seem to get the top crema right. Sometimes it's too thin. Sometimes it won't get fluffy. Sometimes it's kind of gooey. I had one batch that was lump (I figured out why this was happening though, I wasn't stirring it enough and the heat was too high).

How do you guys make this part? My test pastitsio has been in 9 x 13 pans so you can get an idea for proportions.
The butter and flour mixture has to be equal parts the. Slowly add the milk. I would say 1 1/2 tbls of butter and flour and one cup of milk. Hope this helps

Reactions: Luana
I am trying to find a good website that offers authentic Greek items to ship to the US- any ideas?

Reactions: Zeke
My aunt used to use Creamette Elbow Macaroni, which you can find at any grocery store, and her pastitsio was delicious. The type of pasta really does not matter, at least that's my thought. It's how the meat sauce is seasoned and the creama that make pastitsio stand out. You can add two beaten eggs to the creama which will make it more like a custard and should make it puff.

Combine flour and butter well, so no lumps are present. Slowly add warm milk and keep mixing until all liquid is incorporated. Remove from head and add beaten eggs, but be sure it's mixture is not too hot when adding eggs. Keep mixing, return to heat for a bit when all is incorporated.

The Krema was a hard thing for me to get right, as well. The old recipe as it was written was very hard for me to follow - plus I think flour these days might be different than it was even twenty years ago. I don't know why! So, I tend to follow a traditional "white sauce" method of putting the flour and butter together in the saucepan (I think this is called the roux) and then I add the eggs. Learning the technique made things a lot easier.

I am just starting to learn how to make pastitsio and I found this thread to be very helpful. Hopefully, the whole dish comes together well.

Thank you guys, I have tried a bunch of different things and I don't know what I am still doing wrong. It has gotten better, but the texture is still a little bit off. Maybe I am adding too much flour?

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

What is the best street food in Greece?

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg

What are the most famous Greek cheeses?

I've recently embarked on a culinary quest to explore the rich and diverse world of Greek cheeses. From the tangy feta found in traditional Greek salads to the sizzling delights of halloumi, Greece's cheese culture seems incredibly vast and flavorful. 🇬🇷

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community to ask: What are the most famous Greek cheeses that you've tried or heard of?

Are there any particular varieties that are a must-try or any hidden gems that rarely escape the borders of Greece? And if you have any delicious recipes or pairings to share, I'd love to hear about those too!

Greek methods of food preservation?

I remember my family doing some things to preserve food as I was growing up but we got away from them. The thing is, some of the options were actually delicious! My yiayia made sun-dried tomatoes, spoon sweets, her own tomato paste, etc. It was one of the things that made her food delicious.

I am trying to figure out what she did! I am curious if anyone knows anything about the following:

- Traditional Techniques: I know the ancient Greeks did a lot of preserving and some of the methods translate to modern?
- Modern Adaptations to Old Techniques: Maybe to make the process easier?
- Local Variations: Are there different regional things?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back