1 - 6 of 6 Posts

cf_fraiser

This is one of the best markets in the city with many historical roots! You can really find anything here and more and more vendors are coming every year with new foods, fruits, veggies, art and practically anything! I went food shopping there and it was so fun to chat with all of the farmers and hear about where the food was from :)

modiano-market-thessaloniki-720x480.jpeg

This is one of the best markets in the city with many historical roots! You can really find anything here and more and more vendors are coming every year with new foods, fruits, veggies, art and practically anything! I went food shopping there and it was so fun to chat with all of the farmers and hear about where the food was from :)

View attachment 499
I love traditional markets!! I would love to visit one day and check out all of the fresh produce

Thanks for the information! This looks like a great place.

View attachment 499

View attachment 499
I am too old to travel and to enjoy the benefits pointed out by WG, so I do some navigating on the internet. The word "Modiano" caught my eye since I knew it as the name of an Italian publisher of Tarocchi [tarot playing cards], which I researched some years ago. // I have been attracted to Thessaly [ Thessalia or Pet-thalia] since I read Plato' "Cratylus", in which he searched for the meaning of "ApollOn", the name of the ancient god. In the process, he mentioned that this god is called Haplos in Thessaly. Believe it or not, I was in the process of exploring the source of an Etruscan [Italic] god called Aplu, after whom the Romans named a month, namely April. Aplu had statues and temples north of Rome. My etymology:
aprilis (mons/month) < apr-ilis < apru-ilis, the latter component being a Latin adjective-maker < aplu+ilis. Hence, April [directly from the Old French Aprille] means "Apollo's Month or "the Apollonian Month". I also found the meaning of the god's Ionian name.

Last edited:
Reactions: greek_ggirl
I am too old to travel and to enjoy the benefits pointed out by WG, so I do some navigating on the internet. The word "Modiano" caught my eye since I knew it as the name of an Italian publisher of Tarocchi [tarot playing cards], which I researched some years ago. // I have been attracted to Thessaly [ Thessalia or Pet-thalia] since I read Plato' "Cratylus", in which he searched for the meaning of "ApollOn", the name of the ancient god. In the process, he mentioned that this god is called Haplos in Thessaly. Believe it or not, I was in the process of exploring the source of an Etruscan [Italic] god called Aplu, after whom the Romans named a month, namely April. Aplu had statues and temples north of Rome. My etymology:
aprilis (mons/month) < apr-ilis < apru-ilis, the latter component being a Latin adjective-maker < aplu+ilis. Hence, April [directly from the Old French Aprille] means "Apollo's Month or "the Apollonian Month". I also found the meaning of the god's Ionian name.
Good point, I didn't realize that Modian isn't a traditionally "Greek" name until you pointed it out

Not just tarot, but playing cards. Company even has a wikipedia page:

I wonder how the market came to be named Modiano!? Anyone know?

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?

Byzantine heritage of Thessaloniki?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Byzantine history and its remarkable cultural heritage. Having read that Thessaloniki has a rich tapestry of Byzantine monuments and sites, I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some insight.

I'd love to hear anyone's experiences in visiting Thessaloniki with a focus on its Byzantine past. Could you share recommendations on must-see sites? Particularly, I'm interested in the architecture related to Byzantium and if there's a museum about it I can visit.

Thanks in advance!

New Year's Celebration in Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know what is going on in Thessaloniki for New Year's? There's a chance I could be in the city this year during it and I want to get a feel for what to expect. I went to Greece to visit some family over Christmas.

I heard that they light fireworks at midnight somewhere? Is this true? I'll be visiting some people, so I am assuming they know what is going on, but I want to have a general feel for it.

Some cities have a big celebration outside. I didn't know if Thessaloniki was one of those places.
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back