1 - 8 of 8 Posts

kcixcy

This has to be one of the most beautiful places in Greece for sure!! Who has been here?? :)

Hike-Samaria-Gorge-720x480.jpg

This looks amazing, I have been to Crete but never to Samaria Gorge.

Here is an article that has a bit more info:

It's a beautiful part of the world. I've walked the gorge a few times in my much younger life and one time I was wearing flip flops (or what we Aussies like to call thongs)!

Reactions: greek_ggirl
It's a beautiful part of the world. I've walked the gorge a few times in my much younger life and one time I was wearing flip flops (or what we Aussies like to call thongs)!
Ahhh that sounds terrible!! But those are the only shoes I bring with me to Greece so I would be in your same position lol

Reactions: Vangelis
Ahhh that sounds terrible!! But those are the only shoes I bring with me to Greece so I would be in your same position lol
At least I've proven it's doable! You should give it a go. If you're young enough you're invincible. Now I would probably need the most comfortable walking shoes. My advice though is bring a large water bottle in summer. There is water along the way but not often and it is a long walk.

Reactions: nadellii
At least I've proven it's doable! You should give it a go. If you're young enough you're invincible. Now I would probably need the most comfortable walking shoes. My advice though is bring a large water bottle in summer. There is water along the way but not often and it is a long walk.
I miss being young and invincible. I used to cliff dive in Greece all the time when I was younger and now I would never dare to do such a thing

This is one of my favorite hikes that I have ever done. There are stunning views and the whole experience is so fun!

This is one of my favorite hikes that I have ever done. There are stunning views and the whole experience is so fun!
Same here. It's one of the experiences that made me fall in love with Crete. I did the hike and then spent some time in the village below. Ate a delicious meal at the taverna and then spent a few hours lounging on the black sand beach. Took a nice nap and got some sun. Oh yes, and I drank fresh squeezed orange juice and bought some of the best honey I've ever eaten in that village.

Visiting the Minoan Palaces on Crete Question

I am planning a trip to Crete, specifically to explore the ancient Minoan palaces, which have been on my bucket list for years. I've always been fascinated by the history and myths surrounding the Minoans, and I'm eager to see the remnants of this great civilization first-hand. However, I want to ensure that my trip is as enriching and smooth as possible, so I’m reaching out for some advice.

1. Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of year for visiting these sites in terms of weather and avoiding large tourist crowds?
  2. Must-See Palaces: Of course, the Palace of Knossos is at the top of my list, but I’d love to know if there are other Minoan palaces or sites that are equally worth exploring.
  3. Guided Tours vs. Solo Exploration: Are there benefits to opting for a guided tour of these palaces, or would I have a more personal and fulfilling experience exploring on my own?
  4. Transportation Tips: What's the best mode of transportation for getting around to these different sites? I'm wondering about rentals, public transportation, or any local tips on moving around the island.
  5. Local Insights: Any suggestions for local restaurants or cafes near these sites? I’m also interested in any cultural norms or tips that might help me respect and understand the local customs better.
Thanks in advance! I know there's a few - and Knossos Palace is one of them. There are others, like Malia. I would be interesting in seeing any of them because I am a history buff.

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?

Video Walk Through of Heraklion Archaeological Museum

I am very fascinated by Greek history, particularly form the Minoan Civilization.

I would very much love to visit Crete so that I can learn more and see where it all happened.

I found this video of a museum I would love to visit. You don't need to have the sound turned on, it's really about the images and all you'll hear is background noise. But, I still found it pretty interesting.

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back