1 - 8 of 8 Posts

kcixcy

This has to be one of the most beautiful places in Greece for sure!! Who has been here?? :)

Hike-Samaria-Gorge-720x480.jpg

This looks amazing, I have been to Crete but never to Samaria Gorge.

Here is an article that has a bit more info:

It's a beautiful part of the world. I've walked the gorge a few times in my much younger life and one time I was wearing flip flops (or what we Aussies like to call thongs)!

Reactions: greek_ggirl
It's a beautiful part of the world. I've walked the gorge a few times in my much younger life and one time I was wearing flip flops (or what we Aussies like to call thongs)!
Ahhh that sounds terrible!! But those are the only shoes I bring with me to Greece so I would be in your same position lol

Reactions: Vangelis
Ahhh that sounds terrible!! But those are the only shoes I bring with me to Greece so I would be in your same position lol
At least I've proven it's doable! You should give it a go. If you're young enough you're invincible. Now I would probably need the most comfortable walking shoes. My advice though is bring a large water bottle in summer. There is water along the way but not often and it is a long walk.

Reactions: nadellii
At least I've proven it's doable! You should give it a go. If you're young enough you're invincible. Now I would probably need the most comfortable walking shoes. My advice though is bring a large water bottle in summer. There is water along the way but not often and it is a long walk.
I miss being young and invincible. I used to cliff dive in Greece all the time when I was younger and now I would never dare to do such a thing

This is one of my favorite hikes that I have ever done. There are stunning views and the whole experience is so fun!

This is one of my favorite hikes that I have ever done. There are stunning views and the whole experience is so fun!
Same here. It's one of the experiences that made me fall in love with Crete. I did the hike and then spent some time in the village below. Ate a delicious meal at the taverna and then spent a few hours lounging on the black sand beach. Took a nice nap and got some sun. Oh yes, and I drank fresh squeezed orange juice and bought some of the best honey I've ever eaten in that village.

Tips for visiting Elafonissi Beach?

I'm planning a trip to the beautiful island of Crete and have been intrigued by pictures of Elafonissi Beach's pink sands and beautiful crystal blue waters. As I'm putting together my itinerary, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for some insider tips. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on the following:

• Best Time to Visit: When is the ideal time of day or year to visit Elafonissi Beach to avoid the crowds but still enjoy good weather?
  • Transportation: What are the best transportation options to reach the beach? Are there any recommended car rental agencies or public transport options?
  • Facilities: Does the beach have facilities like sunbeds, umbrellas, or cafes?
  • Local Eateries: Are there any must-try local eateries in the area that offer authentic Cretan cuisine?
  • Accommodation: Can you recommend any nearby accommodations ranging from budget to luxury?
  • Activities: Besides swimming and sunbathing, what other activities can one enjoy at or near Elafonissi Beach?
Also, are there any specific dos and don'ts or local customs I should be aware of while visiting Elafonissi Beach? Thanks in advance!

This is one of the photos I saw - it looks gorgeous there!

elafonissi-beach-crete.jpg

Best Beaches with Services on Crete

It's tough for my family to visit beaches that don't have services - like a restaurant, bathrooms, because we are traveling with multiple generations and usually spend the whole day.

Do the following beaches have services? I will be going with my family end of June next year:

- Elafonissi
- Balos
- Matala
- Stalis

I am having a hard time visualizing based on descriptions I am finding online.

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

Favorite Things to Do In Crete

I was just thinking about Crete and how it's my favorite island. I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things to do:

** Chania - the Venetian Harbor Area
** Hiking all over, but Samaria Gorge is a favorite
** Touring the Minoan palaces - I love that part of history
** Visiting the beaches - so many great ones!
** The food is a highlight - so fresh and delicious - some unique dishes from the rest of Greece, too.

What are your favorites?
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back