1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?

Sandyrigo

The Greek culture is unfamiliar with the concept of pot luck, so if you bring a dish to share it’s generally safe to go with sweets. Also, a bottle of wine is a nice gesture.

k_tsoukalas

The Greek culture is unfamiliar with the concept of pot luck, so if you bring a dish to share it’s generally safe to go with sweets. Also, a bottle of wine is a nice gesture.
I agree with this! I would just bring wine or chocolates or something.

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!

What type of wedding reception is common in Greece?

I am just curious - what types of wedding receptions are common in Greece? For the most part, it looks like the celebrations often take place outside, and there are usually a lot of people there. As I am not Greek and don't have family in Greece, my reception would be pretty small. I don't know what to do!

Resources for Orthodox Christian Religious Fasting?

This past year, I have started taking fasting a lot more seriously. I used to just fast off and on during lent, but I have since learned that fasting is a constant thing. One thing I have noticed is that I struggle a bit to find food to eat, or to know what to do. This is a resource that I find helpful - I am curious if you guys know of anything that can help me:

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter