1 - 4 of 4 Posts
I am of Greek descent but I was born in Australia. Although my name sounds very Greek, I didn't actually grow up close to the culture. I am invited to a dinner party to a friend's house, and they have only just moved from Greece. Of course, I always went to dinner parties put on my family, but this is different. Usually my family would tell me what to bring and I don't have to think about gifts. What do you bring to a friend's house during a dinner party? Wine? Food?

Sandyrigo

The Greek culture is unfamiliar with the concept of pot luck, so if you bring a dish to share it’s generally safe to go with sweets. Also, a bottle of wine is a nice gesture.

k_tsoukalas

The Greek culture is unfamiliar with the concept of pot luck, so if you bring a dish to share it’s generally safe to go with sweets. Also, a bottle of wine is a nice gesture.
I agree with this! I would just bring wine or chocolates or something.

Quick update - I decided to just bring wine and it went over well!

Reactions: Vangelis

Kalikantzaros - Spooky Christmas Tradition

I am learning a bit more about Greek Christmas traditions, and I just bumped into something pretty spooky - the kalikantzaros, which are Christmas goblins. What really strikes me as that they aren't cutesy Christmas goblins. They appear to be pretty mean! Does anyone know more about them? They are a part of folklore not only in Greece apparently, but also in Serbia, Bulgaria, etc. I would love for you guys to share what you know about them.

Would Love to Experience the Greek Kalanda Tradition!

I would love to experience the Greek Kalanda tradition for myself in Greece. Does anyone have any advice on how to make that happen this year? I plan to go to Greece in a few weeks to visit some people and hope to see this first-hand. It seems like a really great tradition.

Ohi Day is Coming Up - How Do People Celebrate?

I am trying to learn about the Greek culture. Many of you may have seen my posts lately about phyllo...I realize that I want to know more than just the food! I looked on the calendar and it seems that Ohi Day is coming up - how do people usually celebrate? From what I gather, people in Greece who are in the workface get this day off? Besides that, how do people spend the day?

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

What games do people play in Greece?

I noticed that there is a taverna culture of "gaming". I see tavli played all the time. Are there other games people play?

I am wondering if people play chess, checkers, that kind of thing? What about physical games like bocci like they play a lot in Italy? I have seen this game in Switzerland and other places, too, and wonder if the Greeks also play it.

Also, what do kids play for games in Greece?
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube