1 - 7 of 7 Posts

greggd12

Kefalonia is home to the endangered caretta-caretta sea turtles! These sea turtles are slowly dying out, so its very important to be respectful of nature while traveling in Greece. Don't throw litter by the sea, or anywhere on the island. There are many beach areas that are protected during the mating period so make sure you follow the signs on the beaches as well. They lay eggs in the sand and stepping on the sand/eggs can be detrimental to the species.

Reactions: acamp7
Here is a good video about the turtles

I went to Kefalonia once a long time ago and I actually remember the turtles. It is an amazing thing, and I wold love to see it again one day.

Reactions: nadellii
I went to Kefalonia once a long time ago and I actually remember the turtles. It is an amazing thing, and I wold love to see it again one day.
Hopefully they don't go extinct before then!! Because I would love to go too

Kefalonia is home to the endangered caretta-caretta sea turtles! These sea turtles are slowly dying out, so its very important to be respectful of nature while traveling in Greece. Don't throw litter by the sea, or anywhere on the island. There are many beach areas that are protected during the mating period so make sure you follow the signs on the beaches as well. They lay eggs in the sand and stepping on the sand/eggs can be detrimental to the species.
Zakynthos also is home to the endangered caretta x2 turtles.

Reactions: xmelissaa
Zakynthos also is home to the endangered caretta x2 turtles.
I didn't know that!! Thanks. Do you know where in Zankynthos I can see them? Do I have to go on a guided tour?

What other islands are near Corfu?

I've heard that slands like Paxos, Antipaxos, and Erikoussa, might be close to Corfu but I'm curious to learn more from you guys. What are these islands like? Are they easily accessible from Corfu? What unique attractions, beaches, or cultural experiences do they offer? If these islands aren't close, can you think of ones that are?

I want to island hop a bit this summer, and I am trying to decide if Corfu is a good home base or if I should consider another island.

Weather in Corfu Question

I am going to Corfu soon - maybe in about three weeks (mid-September).

What is the weather like? I have never been there...

I know on islands like Crete it's still pretty warm in mid September with beach weather. That island is further south than Corfu. Does it make a huge difference? I will be going to Crete, too, so I am trying to figure out how to pack.

Prioritizing Things to Do in Corfu

I want to do the following in Corfu - problem is I only have a few nights. Any advice on how I can prioritize?

- Old fortress
- Canal d'Amour
- Meander though old town
- Paleolastritsa beach
- Casa Parlante
- Archaeological Museum
- Nightlife - whatever I can find

Is this too much for 3 nights?

Three Days or So in Corfu?

I was thinking of visiting Corfu over summer of 2024 and I am not sure how many days to stay. I was thinking that three days is a good amount, and that will enable me to visit other places in Greece (and other people - I have friends and family to visit).

Anyway 3 or 4 days really is ideal. But now, what to do? I have been watching a lot of content - there is some great travel content on YouTube and people love to visit Greece. Anyway, here is a great video:

Spend the day at Corfu Old Town?

Can you spend an entire day just exploring Corfu Old Town? I'm planning my itinerary for a trip to the gorgeous island of Corfu, and from what I've seen, the Old Town looks like a mosaic of historical and cultural influences with Venetian, French, and British vibes.

Has anyone here spent a day (or more) solely in the old part of the city? How was your experience? Are there enough sights, cafes, shops, and hidden gems to keep one entertained for the full day? I'm looking to soak up as much of the local atmosphere as possible without rushing through.

I am curious what you guys think and any advice you may have. Thanks!
Share and discuss your Corfu photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back