1 - 5 of 5 Posts

tomipark

Don't miss out on this museum! You can get tickets here https://heraklionmuseum.gr/?page_id=1406&lang=en

The museum is located by the water and in a great area for walking around and sightseeing. It's one of the oldest museums in Greece and it has artifacts from over 5,500 years from the Neolithic period to Roman time.

While your there you must visit knossos, a guided tour is best. A lot of history there.

Reactions: tomipark
While your there you must visit knossos, a guided tour is best. A lot of history there.
Yess! And there are many different types of guided tours and in many languages

So true, the Heraklion archaeological museum is a must see for any first time traveler to Crete!

Here is even more information to check out:

Don't miss out on this museum! You can get tickets here https://heraklionmuseum.gr/?page_id=1406&lang=en

The museum is located by the water and in a great area for walking around and sightseeing. It's one of the oldest museums in Greece and it has artifacts from over 5,500 years from the Neolithic period to Roman time.
You're right, the is a really great place! What was your favorite part to see?

Tourists Enter A Bus Dressed As... Ancient Greeks!

Crete Minoan Tour

I have been diving into Greek history and mythology from some of the ancient civilizations. One that I have been studying is Minoan, and all of that culture and history seems to be concentrated on the island of Crete.

Does anyone know of a good tour I can take that includes both the history and mythology? I would like to see the Knossos palace as well as some of the other Minoan palaces on the island. I know there is more than one, with Knossos being the largest...

Taking a foodie tour of Crete

I am interested in learning more about the food of Crete. Yes, I know I can go there and eat. But - I want to take things to the next level.

Do you know of a good tour or a good itinerary? I put together a bit of an itinerary in case I decide to do this myself. My preference is to take a good tour, though.

Chania Old Harbor: Thinking to get fresh seafood here - either at a market or in a restaurant. I recall that there's a lot of fresh seafood.

Heraklion Market: Wander through Heraklion's bustling market streets, where stalls overflow with local olive oils, cheeses, and herbs.

Culinary Classes: I am hoping to find a class to take!

Agreco Farms: Visiting this organic farm was a revelation in the importance of farm-to-table eating. This place looks so fun.

Wineries: There's a bunch. I want to track down at least a few during my stay.

crete-food.jpg

How long to spend on Crete?

I am going to Crete in the summer. How long should I spend? I have maybe two months in Greece. We don't get to Crete often - we also don't have anyone to visit. Here are some of my thoughts:

Finding a home base - Crete has so many wonderful towns and cities that can serve as your base for exploring the island. How do I do that? Any advice? I am thinking of either the Chania area or Heraklion - but maybe I should spend half the time in one place and half in another?

Historical sites - History is a passion so Crete seems the perfect place. With so many historical sites to see on the island, including museums and ancient ruins, it has made me feel like I need at least a few weeks on the island. I want to visit Knossos Palace at the very least, which means that Heraklion will be necessary.

Beaches - I also love beaches so this is a must. Some of the beaches near Chania look to be some of my best bets, but I am sure I can find beaches anywhere.

Samaria Gorge - I want to hike down through the Gorge. From what I understand, it is easier to access this from Chania?

I appreciate your thoughts!

Favorite Museums on the Island of Crete

I love Crete - the history in particular fascinates me. I thought I'd share my favorite museums to visit. I am not usually a museum person, but these are interesting to me.

Heraklion Archaeological Museum

If you want to delve deep into Crete's ancient history, the Heraklion Archaeological Museum should be your first stop. This museum houses one of the most impressive collections of Minoan artifacts in the world, including pottery, jewelry, frescoes, and statues. I love learning about the Minoans!

Nikos Kazantzakis Museum

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum is dedicated to the life and works of the famous Cretan writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis. The museum is located in the village of Myrtia, where Kazantzakis was born and raised. This one is a quick one to go through, but is super interesting.

Historical Museum of Crete

The Historical Museum of Crete in Heraklion offers a comprehensive view of the island's history and culture from the early Christian era to the present day. The museum has exhibits on ancient and medieval Crete, the Cretan Renaissance, and the island's role in the Greek Revolution. The history of this island is pretty rich!
Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back