1 - 5 of 5 Posts

blopez34

Oxi Day in Greek is the “Day of No”. The history behind it is that The Axis powers wanted to occupy Greece during World War II because of its strategic location. Mussolini gave the option for Greece to accept occupation instead of going straight to war. He gave Ioannis Metaxas an ultimatum. This is when Metaxas, the prime minister of Greece said "No" and decided that Greece would go to war to defend itself. This is why we celebrate Oxi Day to this day. :)

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions: Jawge

k_tsoukalas

Excellent summary. I love this day, it shows the Greek spirit. One of the finest examples of Philotimo I can think of, and the world took notice when Greece did this. It was the first time someone really showed that they were willing to stand up against the Axis Powers, and the Greeks fought hard with the help of some allies, and they were nearly successful. Winston Churchill said in a speech, “Until now we used to say that the Greeks fight like heroes. Now we shall say: Heroes fight like Greeks.” What the Greeks did during Oxi Day had an impact on the Allied Forces because it made them realize, you know what, we can actually stop them... It became a rallying cry.

Reactions: Jawge and Vangelis

Patisqua

Today, Sunday 31st October, every Greek Orthodox church in Sydney will hold a Μνημόσυνον and ceremony commemorating the day. The ceremony will be followed by Sunday School students reciting poems. Morning tea will be served after the ceremony.

francescool

Today, Sunday 31st October, every Greek Orthodox church in Sydney will hold a Μνημόσυνον and ceremony commemorating the day. The ceremony will be followed by Sunday School students reciting poems. Morning tea will be served after the ceremony.
Sounds like a beautiful commemoration. Nice to see that they are doing something like that

Reactions: Jawge

The history of Oxi Day (October 28)

Oxi Day in Greek is the “Day of No”. The history behind it is that The Axis powers wanted to occupy Greece during World War II because of its strategic location. Mussolini gave the option for Greece to accept occupation instead of going straight to war. He gave Ioannis Metaxas an ultimatum. This is when Metaxas, the prime minister of Greece said "No" and decided that Greece would go to war to defend itself. This is why we celebrate Oxi Day to this day. :)

The Greek language has its earliest roots in the Mycenaean civilization

Some of the earliest examples of where Greek can be traced to is the Mycenaean civilization. Once the Mycenaean civilization collapsed, parts of the Greek language disappeared. It was then replaced by writing inspired by the Phoenicians. After this during the Classical Period of Ancient Greece, the language developed into several dialects, one of which developed into a language that is very similar to the modern Greek that we know today.

Historical interview of Anatolian immigrants to Greece

These people were Greeks who lived in Anatolia (modern day Turkey) and were forced to immigrate to Greece as refugees. Their history is so important to modern Greek history, I hope it doesn't get lost.

What life was like for Greeks under Ottoman occupation

This is a great video by the Benaki Museum about what life was like for Greek people under Ottoman rule, check it out!

April 21st, 1967: Greek Junta Places Country in Shackles!

When I saw Tanks on the streets up and down Paleo Faliro and Athens Airport it was a normal way of life....I was too young to realise the implications of what was really going on..
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter