1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Hash

The statues of Cleopatra and her husband Dioscurides were placed by the entrance of their house to greet the guests. Delos island, Cyclades, Greece. https://t.co/t2gzPx0K9yScreenshot_2022-01-13-16-06-02-623_com.twitter.android.jpg

greekgal77

I have been intrigued by Delos for some time - seems like there are a lot of great artifacts there. I didn't realize Cleopatra and her husband were depicted here!

Reactions: Hash and seleanor

seleanor

I have been intrigued by Delos for some time - seems like there are a lot of great artifacts there. I didn't realize Cleopatra and her husband were depicted here!
Me neither! I love Kleopatra!!

Reactions: Hash

Hash

Me neither! I love Kleopatra!!
When I was working promoting Delos Excursions we asked my Tour Guides to recreate a model village of what Delos would have looked like it's original days....A Majestic and powerful force to reckon with....All the Tour Guides received standing ovations and .... lots of tips.... rightfully deserved....The poor Tour Guides working every day in unbearable heat and sometimes 5/6 Guided Tours per day... Respect and Salute for them♥️♥️...I remember them all well.My sentimental and meaningful contribution to the Greek Tourism Industry.

Reactions: greekgal77

greekgal77

When I was working promoting Delos Excursions we asked my Tour Guides to recreate a model village of what Delos would have looked like it's original days....A Majestic and powerful force to reckon with....All the Tour Guides received standing ovations and .... lots of tips.... rightfully deserved....The poor Tour Guides working every day in unbearable heat and sometimes 5/6 Guided Tours per day... Respect and Salute for them♥️♥️...I remember them all well.My sentimental and meaningful contribution to the Greek Tourism Industry.
It would have been amazing seeing a tour like that!!! I was looking at some photos and Delos looks so interesting.

Reactions: Hash

Hash

It would have been amazing seeing a tour like that!!! I was looking at some photos and Delos looks so interesting.
It is!!......The museum is now reburised and modernised, if you have an opportunity to visit,do it in April/Early May..... you will see the island full of red Poppies,Chrysanthemum and other pretty colorful flowers.... Kalley Mera from Thailand.

Reactions: greek_ggirl

greek_ggirl

It is!!......The museum is now reburised and modernised, if you have an opportunity to visit,do it in April/Early May..... you will see the island full of red Poppies,Chrysanthemum and other pretty colorful flowers.... Kalley Mera from Thailand.
Stunning! I've never seen red poppies in Greece

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.

This is what the traditional costumes of Greek soldiers look like

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

Well,at last hope commences!

The uninhabited island of Delos hosts its first concert in thousands of years!

The island of Delos has been uninhabited since the ancient times. In Greek mythology, it is considered to be the birthplace of Apollo. The island is full of ancient Greek history, and it now stands as an archeological site that people can visit near the island of Mykonos. In just about a week, there will be a concert which will bring musicians from around the world to hold a special concert on the island. I have my fingers crossed that we'll see more and more of these performances over time, and the tourists will be able to visit the site and see some more parts of modern Greek culture like this concert.

Did you know that the marathon originated in ancient Greece?

The modern day marathon as we know it originated from the battle of the marathon. There was a battle between Greece and Persia, which was won by the Greeks. This video reveals how the name actually came to be! You will all be so shocked from this piece of Ancient Greek history!

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter