1 - 5 of 5 Posts

seleanor

Beans are so healthy and versatile, and there are so many Greek recipes where beans are the star of the dish! These are my top recipes, but I'm sure there are many more that I do not know of. Please add more in the the thread!!

- Gigantes (baked white beans with tomato sauce)
-Fava bean spread (boiled and mashed fava beans with lemon and olive oil)
-Fakes (simple lentil soup with onions and tomatoes, garnished with vinegar and olive oil)

Reactions: Laura48

ellinasgolfer0320

Fasolada

Stathi

Beans are so healthy and versatile, and there are so many Greek recipes where beans are the star of the dish! These are my top recipes, but I'm sure there are many more that I do not know of. Please add more in the the thread!!

-Fakes (simple lentil soup with onions and tomatoes, garnished with vinegar and olive oil)
Thank you for writting about these wonderful bean dishes. What I remember in Greece, extra big lima beans were used for "Giantes" which means in English giants. From my expierence in Greece, fava is made with yellow split peas and cooked and prepared as you write. I think fava beans are called koukia in Greece and have to be shelled when you buy them fresh from the farmers market. What I remember about preparing them was you had to boil them for a long time and then you had to dump the water because it was toxic? Then re-boil them. But I'm not sure about that. I do remember eating them with local olive oil and fresh squeezed local lemons. A gastronomic heaven

Reactions: nadellii

nadellii

Thank you for writting about these wonderful bean dishes. What I remember in Greece, extra big lima beans were used for "Giantes" which means in English giants. From my expierence in Greece, fava is made with yellow split peas and cooked and prepared as you write. I think fava beans are called koukia in Greece and have to be shelled when you buy them fresh from the farmers market. What I remember about preparing them was you had to boil them for a long time and then you had to dump the water because it was toxic? Then re-boil them. But I'm not sure about that. I do remember eating them with local olive oil and fresh squeezed local lemons. A gastronomic heaven
Yes exactly, when making lentils you need to boil them for a few minutes first, dump out the water, rinse them, and then start cooking them again.

k_tsoukalas

I love all of these! Sooo good. A lot of my family "Fava" recipes for some reason use yellow split peas. I know that they aren't the same thing... Maybe it was an issue of availability of ingredients back when they came over... almost 100 years ago now.

Do you know where honey gets its taste?

A little known fact, is that the flavor of honey will depend on where the bees are getting their nectar. Meaning that if the bees are getting their nectar from sunflowers or evergreen trees, your honey will taste totally different and have a completely different color! I personally love evergreen honey! This video explains it much better than me...check it out

How to make a gyro completely from scratch

Making gyros can be pretty simple… but also pretty complicated. If you're in the mood for a challenge, I recommend that you check out this video and try making all of the different parts of a gyro from scratch. This is what I like to do if I have a little extra time on my hands, and want to impress my family lol. Of course, ordering takeout is always a great option, especially if you're supporting a local Greek business.

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!

How to make a refreshing watermelon drink for the summer!

Now that it's heating up, I thought it would be very helpful for everyone in the World Wide Greeks community to make a watermelon drink for the summer! Whether you are going to be in Greece or in your home country, you can still make this drink. I must say though, that the water melons in Greece can't be beat! The recipe is very simple, and doesn't require much preparation. Here it is...

-Cut up 1 whole watermelon and blend in a blender in batches
-If the mixture is very thick, you can add water to your liking so that it is more like a juice rather than a smoothie
-if you like, you can add many different flavour variations like mint, orange juice, or lemon. I prefer mint :)
-Strain to remove seeds
-Add ice and serve!

Have you ever made a traditional Greek rabbit recipe?

Rabbit is considered a delicacy in Greece, even though it's not so popular today. There are many different variations of rabbit that are made in Greece, but the most popular is a rabbit stew. The stew consists of tomato, carrots, celery, a whole rabbit, onions, garlic, and spices such as rosemary, allspice, bay leaf, pepper, and salt. This is a great recipe that I have tried myself and I like to make every now and then when I can find rabbit at the butcher or farmers market.

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter