1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

I love Greek seafood dishes. When I am in Greece, there is such a variety! I don't live in Greece, so I try to find options. As far as I can tell, these are some of the top seafood types I can find where I live that are great in Greek cuisine.

Octopus: Called htapodi in Greek, octopus is so common! I saw it everywhere when I went to Greece, and it was always on the menu in seacoast areas. I love it alongside Greek salad as a mezze. I can get octopus at home to make!

Swordfish: Called xifias in Greek, swordfish is one of the most popular types of seafood in Greece. It is a large, meaty fish that is known for its delicious taste and firm texture. I have had it in Greece grilled or served alongside fresh Mediterranean herbs and vegetables.

Anchovies: Known as gavros in Greek, anchovies are a popular ingredient in many Greek dishes. They have a bad rep here in the United States but I love how they taste! These tiny salted fish are a common ingredient in the classic Greek salad as well as stews and casseroles.

Calamari: Calamari is also popular in Greece and I can also easily find it at home. These little rings (known as kalamari) are coated in flour and fried until they are golden-brown and crispy on the outside, yet tender on the inside. Seasoned with lemon, garlic, and parsley, calamari is a must-have appetizer for seafood lovers.

Sardines: Popularly known as sardelles in Greece, sardines are common in Greece, and I have eaten them from time to time. The fish is often grilled and seasoned with herbs such as oregano before being topped with a generous amount of Greek olive oil. I think I may have also had them fried. I can sometimes find fresh sardines at home to cook. I personally love it with ladolemono.

What other seafood can I get in the United States that are common in Greece?

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..
I love lavraki (branzino). My family used to use it for a plaki-style dish. My favorites are mussels, lobster, crab, lavraki, and "mullet" which I find in Greece a lot. I really just like to do whatever is fresh. Oh yes, and fresh anchovies, too!

Iconic Greek Dishes to Try in Greece and at Home

I'm planning a trip to Greece soon and am incredibly excited about eating meals there. I also love to find Greek restaurants near where I love. I want to make sure I tru all the essentials!

Could you please share some recommendations on the must-try Greek dishes? Whether it's a classic main course, a delightful dessert, or a beloved street food, I'm eager to explore it all!

Greek Souvlaki Marinade Recipe

Now that grilling season is upon us, I thought I would share my souvlaki marinade. I cut the meat in cubes and marinate in plastic bags overnight. I skewer them just before grilling.

Add to a mason jar:
  • 1/4 cup Greek olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Then I cover the mason jar and shake, add the meat to the bags, and pour it over. If I am making a huge batch I double the marinade.

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Cumin in Greek Cooking?

When I was in Greece, I bumped into a "spanakopita" in like a turnover style dough. It didn't have cheese and was spiced with cumin. I hadn't realized people use Cumin in Greece until I tasted it in this dish. I was kind of confused.

Do people actually use cumin in Greek cooking? None of the old recipes I have mention it. Could it be a more modern influence?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back