1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

I love Greek seafood dishes. When I am in Greece, there is such a variety! I don't live in Greece, so I try to find options. As far as I can tell, these are some of the top seafood types I can find where I live that are great in Greek cuisine.

Octopus: Called htapodi in Greek, octopus is so common! I saw it everywhere when I went to Greece, and it was always on the menu in seacoast areas. I love it alongside Greek salad as a mezze. I can get octopus at home to make!

Swordfish: Called xifias in Greek, swordfish is one of the most popular types of seafood in Greece. It is a large, meaty fish that is known for its delicious taste and firm texture. I have had it in Greece grilled or served alongside fresh Mediterranean herbs and vegetables.

Anchovies: Known as gavros in Greek, anchovies are a popular ingredient in many Greek dishes. They have a bad rep here in the United States but I love how they taste! These tiny salted fish are a common ingredient in the classic Greek salad as well as stews and casseroles.

Calamari: Calamari is also popular in Greece and I can also easily find it at home. These little rings (known as kalamari) are coated in flour and fried until they are golden-brown and crispy on the outside, yet tender on the inside. Seasoned with lemon, garlic, and parsley, calamari is a must-have appetizer for seafood lovers.

Sardines: Popularly known as sardelles in Greece, sardines are common in Greece, and I have eaten them from time to time. The fish is often grilled and seasoned with herbs such as oregano before being topped with a generous amount of Greek olive oil. I think I may have also had them fried. I can sometimes find fresh sardines at home to cook. I personally love it with ladolemono.

What other seafood can I get in the United States that are common in Greece?

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..

Mussels, clams, oysters, lobster, crab, lavraki (called "Branzino" at Wholefoods), anchovies..
I love lavraki (branzino). My family used to use it for a plaki-style dish. My favorites are mussels, lobster, crab, lavraki, and "mullet" which I find in Greece a lot. I really just like to do whatever is fresh. Oh yes, and fresh anchovies, too!

What do you serve for Greek Easter?

With Greek Easter just around the corner, I'm getting excited to celebrate with family and friends. One of my favorite parts of this holiday is the delicious feast we enjoy together. I'm curious to hear what dishes everyone serves at their Greek Easter gatherings.

Whether you have cherished family recipes passed down through generations or you're trying something new this year, I'd love to hear about it. From traditional favorites like lamb and tzatziki to mouthwatering desserts like baklava and tsoureki, every dish adds to the festive atmosphere.

So, what's on your Greek Easter menu this year? Are there any must-have dishes or special treats that you look forward to? Feel free to share recipes, tips, or simply your excitement for the upcoming celebration. Let's swap ideas and inspire each other to make this Greek Easter memorable!

Us? We are grilling a leg of lamb and serving it with lemon potatoes and fasolakia. For dessert we are doing some kind of a chocolate cake and of course koulourakia.

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Stuffed grape leaves - how much filling?

I haven't made stuffed grape leaves in a while and I have some questions.

First of all, I am having a hard time judging how much filling to put in each leaf? I have a friend who helped me and tried to explain. She'd put a teaspoon of filling in the leaf, then add or subtract more after looking at it. She's quick rolling, and I have no idea how she knows how much filling.

And she really couldn't explain it - just said that you have to look at it and it's by feel. It sounds like my yiayia and she's younger than me! I told her that and she just shrugged. She tried to talk me through it as we were rolling together but it seemed so random to me.

Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Blood Pressure, Greek Study Shows!

Different kinds of baklava to try?

I've recently found myself on a delicious quest to explore the world of baklava, that rich, sweet pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and sweetened with honey or syrup. I understand that baklava has roots in many culinary traditions across the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, each bringing its own unique twist to this iconic dessert.

From what I’ve gathered, the variations of baklava are as numerous as they are delicious, differing in nuts, spices, types of syrup, and preparation methods. However, navigating through these variations is quite the challenge, and that’s where I’m seeking your collective wisdom!

I am curious what you guys think!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back